Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Some of the Ws had folding buckhorn rear sight. With those just fold it down. Others had a Williams adjustable rear sight. Those you have to remove. You can easily tell the difference, the folding actually is held in the dovetail by friction, the Williams is held in by a set screw.

·
Registered
849 Posts
After many years of disappointments, I've found that a scope on a rifle with no iron sights is the first thing the opposition goes for. Give the devil his due and find a fold-down rear sight that will clear the bell of your monster scope; even fuzzy rear sights beat the shotgun "point and shoot" method.
windy

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Fairly common.
That's why about half the Marlins you see in the used racks have no rear sight (and usually no front sight hood).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You guys needs those scopes sitting that far back? I could stand for mine to be forward even a little more than they are, but theres tons of room (33mm though). When I bought one of my guns the guy had the scope mount rail on backwards. Rear sight is not a issue on my 71 or 13. Ive been thinking about a 3-9-40 though.
Monocular Microphone Airsoft gun
Gun Trigger Air gun Airsoft

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You guys needs those scopes sitting that far back? I could stand for mine to be forward even a little more than they are, but theres tons of room (33mm though). When I bought one of my guns the guy had the scope mount rail on backwards. Rear sight is not a issue on my 71 or 13. Ive been thinking about a 3-9-40 though.
Depends on the model (affects dovetail placement), the year (dovetail placement varied a bit), the sight used at that time (again, affects dovetail placement), the scope you're using, the base you're using, the rings you're using, and what type of shooter you are.

Some scopes are long. Some scopes are short. Some rings are high. Some rings are low. Some bases have horrible slot spacing for ring placement, and can force a scope forward or rearward. Objective bells vary in size. Some scopes don't have objective bells. Some shooters crowd the scope (allows mounting farther forward). Others like to keep their head back (sometimes requires mounting more rearward -- these guys usually have a history with heavy recoilers).
Etc...
Etc...

Every situation is different. But, quite frequently, the scopes that people choose, and the way the optics are mounted, have the objective bell wanting to occupy the same space as the rear sight blade.

I have a 336 that can't even have the rear sight base installed, because there's only about 0.015" clearance between the scope and barrel.
On the other hand, I have several others with scopes mounted well clear of the rear sight, or just barely clearing a folded rear sight. (Or, in the case of an 882SS bolt gun, with the scope exactly following the contour of the wedge-shaped rear sight ramp, but staying clear by about 0.020".

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a 3x9x40mm on mine, just had to fold down the blade on the sight, didn't like it, looked to big& clunky.
Then I put a 32mm on it 2x7 and it came up to the rear blade so, they are all different, sometimes as you turn the power up and down
you have to get closer to the scope, something to watch for with a smaller scope if you try to avoid the sight and set it to far back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.