Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a 336 RC made in 1953. When I looked up the serial number and found out what year it was manufactured, the information also stated that the receiver was sandblasted, and the pistol grip should have been capped, along with a white spacer on the butt pad. Well, the white spacer is there, but the pistol grip cap is not. And the receiver is sandblasted, except for the sides of the receiver, which is smooth and deeply blued. It was part of an estate sale at a local dealer. The rifling is in excellent condition, as is the wood and the rest of the blueing. About the top two inches of the barrel showed a slight amount of dust that had accumulated in it, apparently from being stored standing upright. It came out with a dry patch. The receiver had a light coating of grease applied to it internally. Everything cleaned up fine. In fact, I've looked at rifles at the local dealers, that have had more marks and scratches than this rifle has. So, do I have an original from that era, or do I have something that has been gone over? I've tried to find out by going to the local book stores, but so far, nothing. So, if anyone can possibly help, I would appreciate it. Thankyou

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's probably in original condition. 336s made in the early 50s did not have the plastic cap on the grip. They are also pre-micro groove rifling and they usually shoot very well. Is the top of the receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts? 1953 is about when they started d&t the receiver. If it isn't it is considered a flat top model.If you don't feel good about the deal I will take it off your hands.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wyatt. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that. It isn't drilled or tapped. It is in excellent condition. It could very well be in original condition. This is the first used rifle that I have bought. I just couldn't pass it up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have bought and refurbished several old marlins of that era and I have come to the conclusion that they are very well made and if you take good care of it your great, great grandchildren will probably shoot it some day.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
They drilled and tapped the top of the receiver starting in 1954

·
Registered
3 Posts
dbard11 said:
Last week I bought a 336 RC made in 1953. When I looked up the serial number and found out what year it was manufactured, the information also stated that the receiver was sandblasted, and the pistol grip should have been capped, along with a white spacer on the butt pad.
How did you look up the serial number and get any information about the gun? I bought a 336 this past weekend and while not all that old(1981), it has beautiful wood and above average bluing and appears unfired. I called Marlin and was connected to some guy that while, not impolite, definitely left me with the feeling that I shouldn't bother him. About all I got out of him was that Marlin "does not have a custom shop". I offered to give him the serial number, but he said it wouldn't matter. "Marlin does not have a custom shop."

I started another thread earlier to ask how to find out the date of manufacture. That was forthcoming right away. I apologize for hijacking your thread. but didn't know how to find any more information.
John

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Sounds original to me. I'v got a 55 & its drilled for a scope. I think 54 was when they started, maybe half way thru. It had a pistol grip with no cap as well but no white spacer. Came with a funny looking orange rubber thing on the but. I dont think that was original. :lol:
Your guns a pre microgroove as well.
I could be wrong but I think the 336's always had the reciever top sandblasted. Mine had no finish left so I dunno what it was, but I never saw one that wasn't.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Leverdude said:
I could be wrong but I think the 336's always had the reciever top sandblasted. Mine had no finish left so I dunno what it was, but I never saw one that wasn't.
I have 336's made from 1948 to 1952. None is d&t'd for a scope, none are sandblasted on top. Rather , they have a "knurled" or, as some say, a "squiggly line" pattern on top.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
alamogunr if you go to the bottom of the forums main page, near the bottom of the list you will see reference forum. It has a lot of good info including how to date your Marlin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts