Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a 1965 336RC, straight stock 30-30, square lever that the action will not close on. I took it apart and reassembled it for fear the previous owner(s) may have missed something. No change in the problem, the lever does not come up to the lower tang and depress the trigger release and the bolt hangs out of the rear of the receiver just slightly. Took it all apart again, nothing missing, re-lubed, reassembled and no luck. The lever does not show any obvious deformities but I am guessing it is the problem. I took the lever out of my 38-55 336CB and compared the two. Again I see no obvious difference other than that the blade on the RC lever that goes into the slide appears longer than the CB lever. I installed the RC lever in the CB and it would not function with the same symptoms that the RC had with it installed. With the CB lever installed in the RC it worked like a charm. So I am looking for suggestions, I have read about the potential problems associated with installing a new lever and don't think I want to go that route just yet. Thanks for reading the ramble.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ah, sorry I misunderstood (but hey I`m old) I thought it had the same problem with a different lever. Does the firing pin look ok in the slot of the bolt where the lever fits into it, and the slot itself? Maybe somehow the lever got bent?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not sure what the problem is but that is not the original lever for a 1965 RC. The square style lever started about 1970 or 1971.

I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I am taking it that you received the rifle with the lever not closing? Being the case, it seems like you have discovered your issue (blades on levers are different). I agree, the lever is the issue. Have you tried taking the bolt out and seeing how the two levers fit?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just had to put a new lever on my 1967 39A. I had to grind a lot off the end of the lever to get it to get it to touch the receiver. The bolt would close but the lever was not anywhere near where it should have been. You might have the same problem. The blade on the new lever was a lot longer than on the original. Near the end of fitting, I used a dremel tool with a rubber abrasive wheel that did more polishing than metal removal. Took quite a while to get it right. If you decide to try shortening it, just go slow and you should be ok.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If it were mine I would remove just locking block and completely reassemble and see if full closure of lever occurs. I have played with mine to get bolt "just loose", the locking block sets battery. If it still does not close then I would look into fitting tip as needed for closure. There are other contact points that could be an issue but the other lever installation working is leaning one way. At this point I would want confirmation of all, headspace etc. just for feel good due to unknown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I have been trying to find definitive info as to whether or not a square lever was correct. The wear on the lever seems much greater than the rest of the rifle so it was suspect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. a couple new developments. First I am a dope and misidentified the lever on the RC, it is a straight lever with rounded end, not sure what I was thinking but oh well. I took it apart as suggested and found that the lever-locking block interface seems to be the cause of the problem. The RC functions flawlessly without the locking block. I also found that the locking plunger on the lever did not have a full range of movement due to rust so that was contributing to the issue as well. Ironically the lever from the RC now functions in my Cowboy as well but not in its home. The only difference I see is that the gap in the lever between the hook portion that engages the locking block and the lever itself is smaller on the RC lever. Micrometer shows the gap on the Cowboy lever to be 196-197 and on the RC lever it is 186-187. The geometry does not look off so I am not sure it could have been bent. I know the the locking block controls headspace so I don't think swapping the blocks would have any test value. Any other thoughts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does it close with bolt out, maybe rear firing pin is rusted or hung and not allowing block to go fully into battery. If you remove bolt and turn it upside down, can you push in on aft firing pin and align? This is one of the safety features built into not allowing to fire out of battery. Maybe spring and pin rusted up or spring broke and hung.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Compare the levers while in the RC look at the gap in the lower tang when fully closed. If the RC lever has a gap it's possible it's bent. Usually in the trigger opening.

·
Premium Member
12,098 Posts
Sounds to me that that:

1. The lever may be bent at the trigger opening............

2. The lever may have been changed out, and maybe it has a long blade in relation to the Br'Bolt.......

3. The lever may have been changed out, and maybe it is not engaging the locking bolt properly.........

Try these things :

Remove the Locking Bolt and check to see if the lever will close...........If it will, good, the issue is with the locking Bolt..........If not, see below.

Remove the Br' Bolt and check to see if the lever will close...........If it will, good, the issue is NOT with the Br' Bolt..........

How far does the Br'Bolt protrude from the receiver?..........Could the Br'Bolt have been changed out, either on purpose, or by error?

There are only 4 things that will make a lever hang out off the lower tang:

1. A long lever blade
2. poor engagement with the Locking Bolt, which brings on a whole bunch or other problems
3. A bent lever......
4. various replaced parts that have not been fitted properly.........

Will the rifle chamber and eject a round?

Levers can be bent easily if trying to un-chamber a stuck case, or the lever engagement slips off the Locking Bolt w/o unlocking the Br' Bolt...........

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found it. The hook on the top of the lever that engages the breech block was bent down slightly, by about .015 by my measurements, but enough to stop it from going by the breech block when closing the lever. Gently adjusted it back to the dimensions from my other lever and it works. Thanks for all the suggestions. It truly boiled down to trial and error by taking out the individual components and checking for function and the extra lever and rifle for comparison didn't hurt either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.