Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend is just getting into Marlins. Today he found a rifle that the LGS seller is calling a Texan. It's a 30-30, 1973 mfr, 16 1/4" barrel, 2 barrel bands, dovetailed front sight (no ramp), straight stock, square lever, marked 336 RC. It is on consignment and it is marked at $750. I looked at it late today and it is a very nice gun.

My friend has done just a little research and seems to think it may not be a Texan because of the year of mfr and the 336 RC stamp. He is interested in buying it, but wonders if it might be some kind of "composite made up out of pieces gun".

I just don't know enough about Texans to help him.

What do you think this rifle is? Sorry I was out the door before I remembered to take a few pics.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Any of the vintage straight stock 336's were considered Texans.The one you describe sounds as though it may be a marauder.However , I don't think they came with a square loop.The square loop would be consistent with the later Texan models.If that is the case, chances are that the barrel was cut down.If the rifle can be bought for the right price,it may still be worth consideration.But with no pic's hard telling/

·
Registered
969 Posts
Marlin 336 RC rifles were produced from 1948-1968. Therefore, your friend has a cobbled together rifle. Not authentic. Not worth $750.

Reactions: 336 Fan

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I stand corrected on the RC Markings and I changed my post.

Appreciate that info.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts