Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
336 rc 30-30 Poor Front Sight Fitment

I just purchased a nice 1950 30-30. Hardly any wear and looks completely original . I took it to the range today for the 1st time and it was shooting a little left. I took it home, put a couple of drops of kroil on the front sight post and proceeded to drift the sight slightly to the right. A couple of moderate hammer and brass drift blows to get the sight moving and the sight is now able to be driven all the way out of the dovetail with pretty much heavy finger pressure. Upon inspection the sight to dovetail fit is terrible. Looks to be .020 gap between the bottom of the sight and the barrels dovetail cut, and the best I can tell the only thing really holding the sight is the sharp edges of the barrels dovetail are compressed into the corresponding "V" of the front sight. not much interference anywhere else
Is this a normal condition for this era of rifle? I wouldn't think so, but maybe it is. As I said everything looks original, the sight doesn't look to have been replaced and there is still bluing in the barrel's dovetail cut so I am pretty sure it hasn't been altered .
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agree, a very light peen of those sharp upper edges to take out the slack.
You then clean the dovetail joint (barrel and sight) with some form of degreaser, refit the sight and get it sighted in and having settled on the final position use a small drop of Loctite 290 which is a "wicking grade" sealant. I have used it very successfully. Capillary action draws the fluid into the gap.
As to the sight correction; if the rifle is shooting left of point of aim, and you wish to correct this by moving the front sight, shouldn't you be moving to the left?

49er

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When you get a new frt sight, it wont fit into the dovetail. You have to file one side till it will slip in at least a third, then tap it in. Whoever filed the one on my 49 336A went pretty heavy, but it lasted all these years till I got it. I needed a taller sight to work with a peep, thus the reason to even touch it. Someone had moved the original slightly off center too. I centered the new frt one and will adjust the rear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I really want a more secure fit then what I will be able to get with original site. I see that Skinner make sights that are oversize so i may give one of those a try. Looks like he sells a serrated ramp and classic bead(unfortunately it is only available in 3/8" for use with a sight base). Does anyone make a 1/2"(for barrel dovetail) brass bead that is oversize for fitting?
Loctite works well for securing a slightly loose fit, I am afraid as much daylight as I see under and around mine it would require JB weld to secure it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
thanks for the replies. I really want a more secure fit then what I will be able to get with original site. I see that Skinner make sights that are oversize so i may give one of those a try. Looks like he sells a serrated ramp and classic bead(unfortunately it is only available in 3/8" for use with a sight base). Does anyone make a 1/2"(for barrel dovetail) brass bead that is oversize for fitting?
Loctite works well for securing a slightly loose fit, I am afraid as much daylight as I see under and around mine it would require JB weld to secure it.
Checkout the sights offered by Marbles, they are an OEM sight supplier to many gun manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I bought that new sight from Williams. I didnt realize when I got it it was not square like my original, but I filed it to fit nice. I did get the gunsmith at the LGS to find me a square one to fit so it looks more original only taller for the peep. I was lucky to have a nice file in my box to fit it nice.
Wall Concrete
Airsoft Shotgun Airsoft gun
Laminate flooring Floor Hardwood Wood Flooring

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your situation sounds just as mine was on my 68" RC.
I put Skinner sights on mine and discovered mine was now shooting 47 inches high at 100 yds 'What I said" So I ordered A .603 INCH Front sight which corrected the POA/hit discrepancy.Anyway I drove out the original frt sight and discovered the points on the front sight dovetail "original" didn't sit all the way down in the ramp cut out there was said gap but mine was very tight.BTW support that Ramp with wood before you hit the sight with a hammer/brass punch you will bend and or shear the tiny ramp screws!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and ordered a Skinner 1/2 x .650". The original sight was .460 and federal 150 gr rounds were printing 3" high at 50 yds with the rear sight bottomed out. 170 gr were right on @ 50 yds so I need a little taller front to get my rear sight off the bottom which should allow getting 150 gr rounds hitting where they need to as well.
Skinner says the sight is slightly oversize which should allow me to fit it properly to the rifle's dovetail. I don't like the looks of the Skinner as well as the Marbles but sometimes compromise is needed.

·
Banned
619 Posts
I think you will like shooting the flat top front sight better. Anyone thinking of changing sights multiple times on a ramp should look into the Williams sight pusher. It doesn't work on a barrel dovetail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.