Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was only a 25 yard range with my Marlin 336 carbine 1976, 2-4 minutes between shots. Parallax on my Vortex Viper 3-9x40 scope and cheek weld might have played into some of the results, but so far this is what I have:

Winchester Silvertip 150

This is what I originally sighted in with. I shot 5 bullets, so one of them must have passed through the same hole. Only the 5th bullet was off the 1" bull. Seems to be pretty solid in my marlin, very impressive but I just learned they were discontinued.. definitely a shooter in my Marlin though

Federal Fusion 170

This one was a bit puzzling. I think my barrel started warming up a bit, but I shot extra bullets just to see if the warmed state would group better. 7 shots and I wasn't very happy with the fact that it grouped the lowest of the bunch. Every other ammo was on or above the bull vertically. I'll try again at 100 yards.

Hornady 160 FTX

Clover leaf, under 1" vertically, and about half inch wide 5 shot group. My rifle has shot a 3 shot group of 3/4 inch before at 100 yards, so this wasn't very surprising. This group was immediately following the Federal fusion, which further puzzled me. Maybe my cheek weld was bad with the Fusion? 100 yards will tell, since scope is set at 100 yard parallax.

Remington Core Lokt 170

This ammo pleasantly surprised the crap out of me. The 5 shots grouped even tighter than the hornady! Only the 5th shot touched outside the bull. So the first 4 shots were all within a half inch radius! I was really hoping my gun liked it, since its performance on game seemed to be the best all around. This is now my brush ammo which should cover 0-200 yards perfectly. Going to store and stocking on this. Note: The red X was a single shot, then I adjusted windage and shot 5 more.

Hornady 140 Monoflex

This ammo intrigued me. It has excellent penetration performance since it holds together very well. Shooting it felt a bit different than the other ammo for some reason. I think I felt the shift in velocity even from the 160FTX. I took 6 shots because I wasn't sure about the flyer and the 6th shot ended up with the flyer. This ammo is not worth it compared to the much better performing Corelokt and 160FTX.

Next will be the 100 yard range report. I am all out of the Winchester silvertip, and it is out of stock everywhere, and also discontinued. So I figured it was pretty much pointless to keep testing it. Still enough for 5 shot groups for all other ammo.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks for the report CB. I've got some silvertips and corelocks to try in my Glenny when I finish it. Very promising.
I'll be watchin for your 100 yard report.

Mop

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Federal fusion bullets are lead core which have a pure copper jacket that is plated on by electrolysis. It isn't the same as a gilded copper jacket so barrel will shoot them differently.

·
Administrator
28,297 Posts
Hey BC, very nice report and well organized.

I find the Fusion a tad interesting as well and quite a difference to the Remington and the LE 160GR. Anyway, you might try Federal Blue Box, if you haven't already, as I find them more accurate than the Fusion.

Regarding 50 rounds being excessive... I build my own bullets and have done extensive testing on bullets and loads. I'll use my 32 Special as an example, it has a perfect .320 bore. After years of bench shooting 1000's of rounds down the tube I had my advanced gunsmith mic the barrel for wear, still a perfect .320. Yet, I have always allowed my gun to cool completely after 20 to 25 rounds and then perform a thorough cleaning. When I'm done I make sure to run one dry patch down the barrel to remove excess oil. If I fail to this, with any of my rifles, the first 1 to 2 rounds POI are flyers and then they return to their respective POI. I usually shoot 5 shot groups when bullet testing and allow the barrel to cool. But once I reach the four or five sets of 5 shot groups, I clean it. The barrel is pristine with zero copper fouling.

Hope this helps and I look forward to viewing your 100YD test.

Jack

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Altogether I shot about 50 rounds.. is that a bit excessive in terms of wear on the barrel?
No, but it is excessive in terms of price and availability in some parts of the country these days, there Daddy Warbucks... :biggrin:

In all honesty - Excellent post, and extremely beneficial to basic questions regarding performance of some common popular rounds. I've got several boxes of each that you posted (some simply because of non-availability over the past year+ and when I see something in 30-30 on a shelf for under $25 I've been buying it). In fact just yesterday I bought a box of 170 Rem Core-Lokts and a box of 150 Federal blue box at Wally World just because I hadn't seen any 30-30 on their shelves for a while and they happened to have a butt-load of 'em at the time I was there (I was going to shoot he 150s yesterday but had too much going on - I'll shoot the 150s this coming weekend though). I plink mostly with 150s but use the 170g Rem Core-Lokts for hunting in the brush - glad to see my personal preference for hunting perform so well. However I also bought some Fusion 170gr and was wondering if they would be even better (I mean, c'mon, they got a cooler box graphic and all so...ha), now I'm worried about even shooting at coffee cans out back, great.:ahhhhh:

Thanks for posting this with the pics - I love picture graphics when it comes to talking bullet performance. Would love to see pics of your 100yd results.

Reactions: CrunchBerries

·
Registered
797 Posts
Great range report. I was glad to see the Rem. 170 cor-lokts did the best.
It seems to me most Marlins and even Win. 94's shoot the 170 grainers better than th e 150,s... but I know there are some exceptions.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Great Range report! I always find it interesting how different the POI is between various manufactures and even the same mfg in some cases. I am not saying that these were all identical bullets, powder and weights, but even at 25 yards you can see how POI is manifesting itself. That will really be evident at 100 yds.
Nice to see someone else getting good results with the Hornady 160 gn FTX and I agree on the Rem Core Lokts in 170 gn. That is the other brand of factory ammo I keep in stock. It is very accurate for me as well.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have to agree as I think anyone I have ever ran across in South Texas that used a 30-30 Winchester was using the Remington 170 gr. Coreloks if they used factory Ammo. Heck for a long time I did not think any other ammo was available for the 30-30 Winchester other than the Remington 170Gr Coreloks lol. :)

I do read many good reports about the Hornady 160 FTX Lever Evolution. But I think it is mainly those looking for less drop at around the 200+ yard mark.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The Remington Core-Lockt 170gr. clocked 2076 fps on my chronograph and averaged 2" groups at 100 yards (five 3 shot groups). Shooting was with my 20" Marlin made in 1971. I don't recall the chrono velocity of the Hornady "gummy" 160's but they grouped under an inch at 100 yards.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Great report on your 30-30 336 Marlin! Fifty shots through your Marlin will not harm the barrel provided you allow a cooling off period between groups.

Just a mild word of advice on purchasing factory ammo, try and get the same Lot # as the best performing load you tested or things could be different, much different, with a new Lot #.

358 Win

·
Banned
36 Posts
Thats a good post there CB, the pictures and info is great along with your groupings. I've been reloading ammo for non tube type magazine type for many years, but have only just started for my 336C, 30-30,I am loading the 160gr FTX, I notice you don't crimp the projectiles, it obviously has not caused any problems for you?

·
Banned
556 Posts
I will say your fusion group looks the same as every caliber I've tried them in.

If your gun likes 170's you should try fed blue box and powerpoints to see how they group. Mine shoots the cheap stuff the same.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts