Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put 40 down the pipe and got only 10 in the x-ring from 50 yards, bench shot, with Tasco 4x32. As you can see, it shot quite a bit left although I was shooting from a slight angle. I adjusted windage but couldn't quite get it zeroed in. A dozen shots were off the paper. 25% is barely acceptable in my book. BTW, I did just about the same at 100 yards, but didn't keep the target. Now I'm out of bullets:(

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Was it 2 boxes of the same type of bullet weight/manufacturers.....what were they..........did you allow for barrel cooling...(boy I've made that mistake).......checked your screws and scope mount and scope for slippage.......

and lastly....did you enjoy yourself?......hope so.........

Put 40 down the pipe and got only 10 in the x-ring from 50 yards, bench shot, with Tasco 4x32. As you can see, it shot quite a bit left although I was shooting from a slight angle. I adjusted windage but couldn't quite get it zeroed in. A dozen shots were off the paper. 25% is barely acceptable in my book. BTW, I did just about the same at 100 yards, but didn't keep the target. Now I'm out of bullets:(

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, barrel cooling is an even bigger deal in lever guns than other gun types because of all the extra contact points.

Load is really important too. What were you shooting?

Try shooting single shot off of the receiver with the mag tube and forend removed. With time for barrel cooling. This will show you the maximum potential accuracy of your gun with whatever load you're using. Then you can identify areas for improvement from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The barrel got pretty hot and I didn't allow it to cool off much. Shot 20 of Rem 150 and 20 of Fed 150. It was fun but the mosquitoes were everywhere and hurried my shots.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Try shooting single shot off of the receiver with the mag tube and forend removed. With time for barrel cooling. This will show you the maximum potential accuracy of your gun with whatever load you're using. Then you can identify areas for improvement from there.
I tired that experiment but it wasn't by choice. My magazine tube divorced itself from the rifle while out hunting and I couldn't find a gunsmith willing to fix it. Every now and then, I'd take the thing out and shoot it as a single shot because that's the only way I could shoot it. Much to my surprise, what had been a solid 2 to 2.5 MOA grouper was MOA or better with virtually every kind of load I stuck in the chamber.

That's what prompted me to "hotrod" mine when I finally found a gunsmith willing to do what I wanted done, with bobbing the magazine tube and attaching it as on 336 MX rifles being the mod that I think has had the greatest contribution to accuracy. It'll shoot MOA or slightly better with a lot of loads now, with 3 in mag plus 1 in chamber firepower.

One thing mine never did was scatter shots willy-nilly over the paper. They'd be centered horizontally, one on top of the other, but strung vertically. And if I didn't load the magazine full, the aggregate group for 20 shots would always be a lot tighter than if I shot from a fully loaded full-length tube, because the vertical stringing wouldn't be as severe.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Check your scope mount and rings also and make sure everything is good and tight I have had one loosen on me and didn't know it till I done shot 2 boxes of ammo tryin to sight in a scope!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The barrel got pretty hot and I didn't allow it to cool off much. Shot 20 of Rem 150 and 20 of Fed 150. It was fun but the mosquitoes were everywhere and hurried my shots.
Bring a little citronella candle with you next time. :)

Can't let those silly little creatures ruin your good time.

But yeah, definitely check your scope mount situation, shooting disassembled, and with a cool barrel. There's a thread on the first page about hot barrels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.