Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an used 336 and i have a questions. The serial number begin with 68 933xx is there anyone who can tell me the year of production. The number is placed under the lever and it have an micro-groove barrel with an JM stamp on the right side. It also have an JM mark on top of the hammer.
There are no cross bolt safety. Will this weapon be able to handle pressure from Hornady LE ammo.

Best Regards from Denmark

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Re: 336 30-30

Luffe said:
The serial number begin with 68 933xx is there anyone who can tell me the year of production. The number is placed under the lever and it have an micro-groove barrel with an JM stamp on the right side. It also have an JM mark on top of the hammer.
There are no cross bolt safety. Will this weapon be able to handle pressure from Hornady LE ammo.Best Regards from Denmark

Absolutely! It will handle any factory ammo!
It was made in '68......the safeties weren't added until '83. If you're referring to the JM on the hammer spur it is an original....hang on to it, they go for up to $30 on ebay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 336 30-30

Thank's for the quick reply. I will hang on to it they are kind of hard to find in Denmark. The gun looks overall as it have been used very little an the stock is very nice I will post pic as soon as i get it home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scope I´ve mounted is an Hawke Endurance 1,5-6*42. Action on the rifle is very smooth and it have very fine triggerpull, much better as my SBL 45/70. Now it´s only to find out how it shoots, hope I will find time in the weekend.Bought some Hornady RN 150 grain.
Regards from Denmark

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
That's a mighty fine looking rifle Luffe! You'll enjoy it for a long time!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Luffe congrats on your purchase of your new 336 rc . that is sporting some nice furniture and i know what you mean about those slick actions i have a rc in a 1965. Can,t wait to how yours shoots with the 150 gummies good luck with er. :)DCH.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Luffe, Nice Looking RC! the serial number for a 1968 RC begins with AD and it will shoot Hornady 160 FTX factory loads with out a problem and they are accurate, and so are Rems and winchesters, dch! The don't make 150 gummies

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
stykbow57 said:
the serial number for a 1968 RC begins with AD
AD = early '68......His prefix = 68 so it was made in '68 also

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That is beautiful, nice find. Hope it shoots as great as it looks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was out burning some powder today. Distance was 100 meters and spread was 40-45 mm on the groups with Hornady RN 150 grain factory load, so I am satisfied

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. I have to ask, how easy is it to find a Marlin in Denmark? DP

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It`s kind of hard to find to find those old Marlins in Denmark, new ones are not so rare. But one thing is to find the riffle another to the ammo. I`ts easier to find ammo for my 30/30 in differerent brands, if we talking ammo for my 45/70 there are 2 brands the 325 LE from Hornady and the 300 grain JHP from Remmington

1 - 18 of 18 Posts