Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall seeing a 336 with a whitetail buck carved in a circle on the butt stock..

Can anyone tell me a little about it? If I happen to come across one in very nice shape for a good price.. should I purchase it? ;D

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
What you may of seen was a Marlin/Glenfield Model 30 or Model 30A with the hardwood (birch) walnut stained stock that has stamped checkering and a deer head in the pistol grip portion of the stock. ;) Do a search from the Home page of MO for "Glenfield Model 30" or "Glenfield 30" and yo wil probably find pics of that rifle.

CJ

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.. walnut stocks and the carving is on the side of the butt stock.. not the pistol grip.

I looked through the 336 picture thread and found it.. called a "Spiegel Deerhead" ?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Marlin made a model in the early 60's for Spiegal as I recall that had walnut stocks; on the right side of the butt stock was a circular carving featuring the head of an 8pt buck. As I recall, this model looked very much like the standard carbine model in that it had a pistol grip with 20" barrel and full length mag tube; but its features more closely resembled those of the Marlin made Sears Model 45 made during that time with a forend cap and dovetail front sight.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I'm looking at has nice figured stocks and seems to be in good shape. The serial number starts with a 68..it can't be 1932 ?? Can it?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
From 1968 to 1972 the first two numbers were the actual year of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Rachethead said:
Marlin made a model in the early 60's for Spiegal as I recall that had walnut stocks; on the right side of the butt stock was a circular carving featuring the head of an 8pt buck. As I recall, this model looked very much like the standard carbine model in that it had a pistol grip with 20" barrel and full length mag tube; but its features more closely resembled those of the Marlin made Sears Model 45 made during that time with a forend cap and dovetail front sight.
Rachethead and 00Buck,

Interesiting information here. I never cease to learn something everyday on this MO forum. I was sure the orginal poster was thinking about one of the Glenfields! ::) Thanks for educating me! :) Momma used to tell me I didn't know it all! ;D

CJ

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
At one time they produced a model with many different items including squirrels, the Marlin rider ect. Made a big mistake and published where to get some of them before I got mine. :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
This is a pic of the Speigal & Company "8-pt" Model 336 stock produced by Marlin; and as my memory was a bit fuzzy, I went back and checked my photo file. This gun is identical to the Marlin Model 336C of the same period with the exception that the Speigal gun has a forearm cap, no gold trigger, and the carved deer inlay; I've read that 4,264 "deer head" Model 336 guns were made for Speigal. One will not find this model featured in a Marlin catalog. During the 60's Marlin also made a "Deluxe Texan" model that had a stock carving of the state of TX overlaid by the bust of a long-horn steer; and Marlin also produced a Model 39 (and maybe a model 60, not sure?) with a stock carving featuring a squirrel inlay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
That is cool! :eek: No wonder 00Buck wants to locate one! ;D I would snatch up one of those in a heart beat!

CJ

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep..that's the rifle...Ratchethead.. thanks for the pic :)

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Umm... guess what I bought ;D

I know.. I know.. no pictures .. no proof. I'm working on that.

Very nice wood..a few freckles on the metal.. over all.. in very nice shape. Made in 1968

One thing.. the deer isnt carved on the stock. The stock is dished out and the deer head is pressed in, glued in, or overlaid .. whatever the correct term is. ( help me out) Well that is what it looks like to me. Correct me if Im wrong.

Sorry I dont have any pics yet.. I will.. I will soon.. I promise.

I have a family portrait I need to get done :)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Actually The letter serial number ended in 1968. I have had a couple of 1968 336's that started with AD. Now in 1973 I have had one that started with 73, and another that started with 37.

·
Premium Member
24,597 Posts
I could have bought a nice spiegel buck gun a few years ago for 250.00 , but I thought the deer was hand carved by a previous owner, and didn't figure it was anything out of the ordinary. Hand carved stocks are not uncommon in Texas. I wish I had known what it was.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I could have bought a nice spiegel buck gun a few years ago for 250.00 , but I thought the deer was hand carved by a previous owner, and didn't figure it was anything out of the ordinary. Hand carved stocks are not uncommon in Texas. I wish I had known what it was.
Ouch !! double and triple outch on the price..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts