Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1972 DOM 336 35 Rem few months back. Today added a 1981 DOM 336 30-30. YES - I now officially have Marlinitis - NOW all I need is a 32 Win SPC!!!

But I digress. The 1981 has a small difference from the 1972. On the '81, the small pin associated with the extractor, on the left side of the receiver, protrudes about 1/32" beyond the surface of the receiver. It is spring loaded. You can push it flush, but it pops back out. I did not remember this (anomaly) on the '72, but at the shop I also checked a brand new 336 on the rack and the pin was the same on the new gun and the '81. On the '72 the pin is flush and tight.

So... Is there anything wrong with the pin/extractor on the newer '81 (and no, haven't cycled any rounds thru it yet)? Was there some kind of manufacturing change b/n '72 and '81? And remember - a brand new rifle seemed to be exactly like the used '81 I just bought. Any insight is appreciated.

Steve

· Contributing Member
11,568 Posts
The extractor is attached to the right side of the bolt and pulls the shell from the chamber. The ejector is the small spring mounted in the side of the receiver that tosses the shell out of the gun. On some of the older models, they didn't even have a hole all the way through the receiver. Perfectly fine. :)

· Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys! Didn't think there was a problem, but... Nice to know, and still things to learn!

· Premium Member
10,541 Posts
oscarflytyer said:
Thanx guys! Didn't think there was a problem, but... Nice to know, and still things to learn!
If it bugs you you can take it out & file that tit till its flush & cold blue it. ;)

· Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leverdude said:
If it bugs you you can take it out & file that tit till its flush & cold blue it. ;)
OK... how did you know it will probably drive me crazy... So yes, I may end up filing it down!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.