Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks!
I finally picked up my 10/22 yesterday from the gunsmith at my local Gander Mtn. It's now doing it's impression of an "Evil Black Rifle". Yeah, yeah, I know. It's still a .22!
Anywho, I dropped off the lower tang that Hyde sent me (Thank You Again!). Gunsmith was stunned when he heard how you made it and especially that you wouldn't even let me send you the $ for s/h! Very nice of you. It's getting a matte-blued finish put on it before I order my new big-loop lever.
I've asked this before w/o much responce; but, has anybody had any experiences with DRC's levers through Brownells? I'm torn between their's and a WWG's unit. I've gotten nothing but bad vibes about the decidedly less-expensive units being sold by Numrich!
I'm gonna have the same gunsmith fit the lever and tang onto this unit along w/ a grind-to-fit butt pad(either a Decellerator or a LImbsaver)-don't know enough about either actually to make an informed decision; although my buddy Ron at the Ramsey, NJ location of Ramsey Outdoor Store is steering my towards the Limbsaver.
I think I'll leave the stock sights on it for now; but probably upgrade to a set of XS sights or a scope later on. I also think I'll wait till I actually get a chance to shoot this gun before investing in a WWG's trigger kit. No sense fixing what I don't even know is broken yet!
Thanks to terry and MM93 again for all of their help with this!
Please let me know what you think.
Billy Boy
:wink:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How it was made

Howdy Folks!
It was made by taking a curved tang; cutting it with a band saaw. It was then ground and buffed to a mirror finish. I was amazed at how close it came to being a perfect fit to my new buttstock!
Bear in mind that ALL of the aforementioned craftsmanship was done by Terry Hyde and not by me! I can't and won't take credit for work done and given freely by another one of our buddies here on this or another sight(ie: MarlinOwners.com). This project might never have gotten as far as it has were it not for the generosity of Terry and Vall.
I can't wait to finish it not only so I can use it but to post some pics of what is only my second project gun!
Thanks agin.
Billy Boy

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Re: How it was made

Billy Boy said:

I can't wait to finish it not only so I can use it but to post some pics of what is only my second project gun!

Okay, ya can't just drop hints like that :wink: and leave us hangin - WHAT IS IT???? :D

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Bill, glad the project is going well. DRC stuff is top notch . I have three of his stainless mag. tube followers, they are almost too pretty to hide in the magazine tube :lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A pox on me for not being more forthcoming!

Sorry Shum! It's a '72 3040 (for all intents and purposes a 336A) that I'm converting to a 336T. So far it has a beautiful, straight walnut stock thanks to MarlinMan93. Once the tang that Hyde sent me has been re-blued(matte), I can get the big-loop lever and have it and a recoil pad installed. I must be retarded though, cause this whole pic posting thing has got me stumped! and hey, Shum,,,Thanks for asking!!!
Billy Boy

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Are the pics on your computer?
If they are you can go to photobucket.com & upload them to the site. Once theyre there its a copy & paste deal to post them.
Retards can do it as evidenced by the fact that I can. :lol:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: A pox on me for not being more forthcoming!

Billy Boy said:
Sorry Shum! It's a '72 3040 (for all intents and purposes a 336A) that I'm converting to a 336T. So far it has a beautiful, straight walnut stock thanks to MarlinMan93. Once the tang that Hyde sent me has been re-blued(matte), I can get the big-loop lever and have it and a recoil pad installed. I must be retarded though, cause this whole pic posting thing has got me stumped! and hey, Shum,,,Thanks for asking!!!
Billy Boy
Yeah, whats up with that. We need pictures X-( :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mad

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soon!

Hey Mad! I'll try to have some pics up this week. Glad to hear that DRC's stuff is up to snuff! Hearing lots of bad vibes/PR regarding WWG.
BB

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: Soon!

Billy Boy said:
Hey Mad! I'll try to have some pics up this week. Glad to hear that DRC's stuff is up to snuff! Hearing lots of bad vibes/PR regarding WWG.
BB

Dude,

You lost me so much :-s
What's

DRC
PR
WWG

Dont forget. I am a dem immigrant Dont know snit from nothing... LOL

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Translation for the acronym challenged:

Mad-
DRC- Mfr. of Big Loop Levers(through Brownells)
PR- Public Relations
WWG- most well-known Mfr. of Big-loop levers(up in Alaska, carried by Brownells, but also self-distributed. The main honcho has an apparently unpleasant demeanor about him!)
BB

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: Translation for the acronym challenged:

Billy Boy said:
Mad-
DRC- Mfr. of Big Loop Levers(through Brownells)
PR- Public Relations
WWG- most well-known Mfr. of Big-loop levers(up in Alaska, carried by Brownells, but also self-distributed. The main honcho has an apparently unpleasant demeanor about him!)
BB
Thanks, BB.

Within two weeks it will be decided if I am staying in VA or moving back to NJ. If so, we should get together.
Even if I do stay in VA I have to go to pick up my bike from my buddy's garage in West Milford, so we can meet or something.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your Bike?!

Damn, don't you have enough toys Mad? Actually I sold my last bike in '97 to finance my first Jeep. It was an 86 FJ1200. Talk about a lnd rocket! I'd be embarassed to say how fast I had actually had it up to.
Hope all goes well with yer potential move.
The whole thing with the aftermarket lever is this. My paws aren't gonna fit into a regular sized lever this winter while wearing gloves. Wild West Guns makes some awesome stuff. But, (and this has not been my experience; more heresay than anything) I don't need the attitude the owner seems to spew at most people just for a new lever. Brownells carries an aftermarket unit made by DRC-specifically for a straight-stocked 336! As Carl the groundskeeper would say "So I got that goin for me!" I'll have my gunsmith (GM in Middletown, NY) do the final fitting along with installing the custom tang and a ground-to-fit pad and I'm set!
This is gonna be one cool rifle when completed. I still plan to have the wife order the 1894SS from Walmart for me for Xmas though; just to keep it company.
Billy

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Bill, It'll be a beauty. That is a nice stock set. I don't know about Jim West but whoever was putting their stuff on ebay was great, he even sent me a free WWG hat after I bought my 2nd GG stock from them.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I am not one of those listed but it looks good to me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mad you still on here?
BillyBoy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts