Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Williams Peep with front Firesight on the 336CS 30/30 that I picked up recently. With the rear peep lowered to its lowest point without touching the receiver, bullets strike 8" high at 100yds. Factory loads and handloads. My question is whether to replace the front sight, and if so what height should I go for. MidwayUSA has many to choose from. If I remember correctly, I measured the factory front sight at .340". This weekend, I'll pull the Firesight front and measure it. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I hope someone will have the right height figure for you. It sounds like you need a taller sight. I'm quite interested since I am wanting to mount a Peep on one or two myself. My only other experience was on a Winny and used the factory front.

To add [if this isn't hi-jacking too bad] a question is it common to need to replace the front sight on Marlins when going to a peep?

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Take your old sight and remove the brass bead by turning it with a pair of pliers (they remove fairly easy) put it in a soft jawed vise and drill the hole all the way through, now with a small file file the center section out til you are at the bottom of the drilled hole, or leave a very shallow trough. Go to your favorite sporting goods first with this in mind buying a strand of fiber optic bow sight of any color they have you want. When you have it cut a section out about 1/8th inch longer than the sight. Place it with equal amounts on each end. With a propane torch get it closer and closer until you see the fiber optic bead up. Do the other end the same way. One drop of super glue in the exposed center and the job is done. Put it back on your rifle and sight it in. Have fun and good luck. Swany

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
swany said:
Take your old sight and remove the brass bead by turning it with a pair of pliers (they remove fairly easy) put it in a soft jawed vise and drill the hole all the way through, now with a small file file the center section out til you are at the bottom of the drilled hole, or leave a very shallow trough. Go to your favorite sporting goods first with this in mind buying a strand of fiber optic bow sight of any color they have you want. When you have it cut a section out about 1/8th inch longer than the sight. Place it with equal amounts on each end. With a propane torch get it closer and closer until you see the fiber optic bead up. Do the other end the same way. One drop of super glue in the exposed center and the job is done. Put it back on your rifle and sight it in. Have fun and good luck. Swany
I think I'll think about doing that on top of my Single Six; groove the top and affix a strand of FO......GREAT IDEA!!!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
A good rule of thumb is about .01" of an inch, for each inch you are high at 100 yds. So in your case, a .420" sight. With that siad, I'd normally go the next higher, as it gives more adjustment, since you said you're at the bottom. maybe a .440" or thereabouts.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Front sight height correction:

H=(R*S)/(D*36)

Where:

H= change in sight height in inches
R= sight radius in inches
S= bullet strike from point of aim in inches (positive is high, negative is low)
D= sight in range in yards

When buying a new sight, remember they are measured from the base of the dovetail to the top of the sight.

·
Registered
736 Posts
imashooter2,

Bravo! That's an elegant solution. Did you brain that out or read it somewhere? While I was reading the thread, before getting down to your post, I was thinking about how to reply with a formula that included the trig functions. Your shortcut formula is much simpler. marlinman93's solution is simpler yet.

It's a pleasure to associate with knowlegable folks like you guys.

Live well

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
"Brain that out?" :lol: No, not with my limited facilities... The NRA Firearm Fact Book is a wealth of information. All I did was put in the conversion from yards to inches from the formula they published. That I can figure out!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what makes this site so great for Marlin Shooters. I asked a question, and got exactly the information I needed.
Thanks to Swany, marlinman93, & imashooter2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts