Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Marlin Maniacs. I was wondering if i can get some suggestions from my fellow maniacs. I have purchased a Marlin 336 30-30 and have decided to scope it. My problem is I am not sure what base and rings to go with. I should say all my rifles have picatinny rails on them, this however is my first Marlin (marlinitis sets in quick i have noticed). Anyway I like the picatinny rail because it gives more flexibility on moving the scope forward or backwards to gain the proper eye relief. The only rails i noticed were a warne, good reviews. $100 and one by EGW, bad reviews, about $40. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Secondly, what rings do you recommend (quick release?), i prefer something that can be taken off quickly and remounted quickly without losing zero. Thanks for your help...

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Well I have had a few different brands of quick release rings. Leupold and Warne are at the top of the list! They are not cheap, but the cheap rings are...CHEAP! Quick release rings are only needed if you have back up irons on the gun.

So you like rails huh? XS sights has this full length or they have a shorter scout rail. With this longer one you can do anything!

Those are Warne rings in the pic. I just ordered another pair of Leupolds from Optics Planet. They are on sale for $55 regular $88! ::)

·
Registered
522 Posts
B-Square has a rail model #45536 base the same length as the Weaver base for the 336 except with more slots equeally spaced along the top and takes the standard Weaver rings. Midway used to carry them for around the $10 range however they showed them as discontinued.

I bought some on line from the mfg. at: http://secure.armorholdings.com/b-square/marlin_rifles.html#611 I got one bad one in the batch that was machined too narrow, but they replaced it relatively quickly. The half dozen I have mounted work really well with the Weaver low rings and come on and off without loosing zero using a short Weaver 1-3 20 mm variable scope.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damm, thats just what I was looking for. Like it, I love it!!! I am planning on toping it with either a 2X7 Leupy VX3 or a 1.5-5 Leupy VX3. Thanks for your help gentlemen.

Oz

·
Registered
308 Posts
I gotta ask where did you see the bad reviews on the EGW bases? I don't have them on my Marlins but have used them on other guns worked fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Willy, maybe bad was to harsh a word.

Midway USA, one of the revies said if you were going to mount a 2x7 or 3X9 scope on it you would not have enough room for proper eye relief. And since 2x7 is one of my possibilities I wasnt sure about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts