Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lurked here a bit for some good info, but until yesterday had no reason to post. ;D
I traded into an UNFIRED 336 Octagon at a local gunshow. Was told it was unfired, but unfortunately is missing the box/paperwork........I hear that alot at gunshows, the "unfired" part, but usually find they are just low rd count guns that have been well taken care of. After getting it home for closer examination, I BELIEVE IT IS!!!
I was unfamiliar with this model, but finding out it was a 1973 only production run of 2414 pieces made my jaw drop :eek:

I looked around to see if there had been any sold recently on the typical boards to establish a true worth of the piece, but can find NOTHING........so the question is, what do you think its worth??
How desireable is it to real collectors?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
First off welcome to Marlin Owners! Please don't disapear after we answer your question! Whats it worth is what someone is willing to pay for it! It's probably worth $600, but at an auction site it can go well over a grand if a bidding war starts between two people who want it! About a year ago a .44 mag cowboy in the 24" octagon variety went for $1400.00! If the 30-30 is in unfired 100% condition I wouldn't doubt $1200.00 as a starting bid and going up from there!!

What did you trade for it?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
You, my friend, found a very nice 336!! 8) I don't know if you are like me or not, but I would use that 336. No reason to let the wife and kids make to much money on my stuff after I'm gone. ;D DP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks........and yea, I'll be around here regularly. I was a big lever fan (Win and Marlin) for years, then culled the collection (more of an accumulation) of most of them back in 06-07'. I did keep one Win 94 and one 336, as well as a mint Westernfield version of the 336.

Well, I've been hankering for lever love again, and am really searching for minty 336's and 357 94's, but as shooters. I REFUSE to own any croosbolt safety models, but will tolerate AE on a Winchester for a nice deal.

Anyways, I traded a LNIB Springfield XD 40 plus some cash for it....the guy had a 1894c also on the table which was the first thing I noticed, but this cought my eye, and once I picked it up and felt the balance and shouldered it, I knew it was mine. I had dealt with him before, which made it painless.
He was interested in my pistol, and asked what I wanted for it...I answered $475....I then asked what he wanted for the 336.....his answer was............$475.
What he was REALLY wanting for the 336, I won't ever know, but he obviously thought of it as just an unusual 336, like me......not a rarity.

I guess I'll hold off on shooting it for now......what to do ???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Shoot it, enjoy it and don't look back! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's!!! :)

I'll tell you what to do!!!
Post a pic of it so we can see!!! ;)

'73, maybe a Zane Grey or Centenial??

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I had one for awhile. As I understood it, the left over barrels from their Zane Grey commemorative were used in conjunction with the straight stock. (The ZG model was pistol grip) Mine shot like a house afire, but alas, I had to have something else, and that something else lasted until I needed something and so on,ha. Shoot it, have a ball.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics....as you can see, I'm no photographer. Should have wiped off the excess oil/case fibers beforehand.

Anyways, I'm torn...half agrees with you guys, to just shoot and enjoy it, but the other half says that if this is in such limited numbers and so desireable to a "purist" collector, why not let it fill a hole in a collection for one of them, when I'm just wanting minty "shooters". Especially if its worth 2 or 3 shooters.
I will have to dwell on this one before running a single rd thru it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Want a shooter huh? Well, look at it this way. The octagon barrel has more mass which will help make it a more accurate shooter.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Very nice!!! 8)

It even still has the sticker on the forend!!! ;D

Seeing what people are paying for .30/30CB these days, I'd say you hit the jackpot!!!

Shoot or no shoot, I would definately take good care of it!!!

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Shoot the dang thing! It ain't no picture to be hung on the wall! ;) Who the heck believes the unfired bit on the gun auctions anyway! I mean even if you had the box! Marlins are doing so well that that if you used that gun for the next 10 years and took good care of it ...it would still go for a bundle.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
lever addict said:
Shoot the dang thing! It ain't no picture to be hung on the wall! ;) Who the heck believes the unfired bit on the gun auctions anyway! I mean even if you had the box! Marlins are doing so well that that if you used that gun for the next 10 years and took good care of it ...it would still go for a bundle.
+1

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
lever addict said:
preacher said:
Ditto! Use it for what it was made for. If you want a picture to look at I can definitely draw you up an just almost picture perfect life size portrait of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess I should clarify a few things :p..........first, when I use the term "shooter", I'm meaning a gun I will take out and use, shoot regularly, hunt with, etc. I'm NOT refering to the accuracy of the piece, like when someone says "that rifle sure is a shooter".

Next.....As I said, I am after "SHOOTERS"..... these days, I have very few "safe queens"....those are the ones that have such a high collectability to them that they never come out of the safe. I sold off a BUNCH of "safe queens" a few years ago and replaced them with "shooters".
If I acquire a collectible "safe queen" that has been fired, I have no problem putting some rds thru it and showing it some love occassionally :D....but I've gone thru this before with the ones that are unfired.
My point about being torn over shooting it has to do with the fact that with only 2,414 in EXISTANCE....maybe I should leave this a virgin...turn this one into a couple of "shooters" by trading it off to someone that WANTS an "as new" piece for a collection. My shooter needs would be met with a standard 336T or 1894c just as well as with this one.
I'm blessed with a pretty substantial "accumulation" of guns...so never a lack of pieces to shoot. And I shoot a minimum of once a week.
It'll either go out with me this weekend and get to show its stuff, or get turned into a couple more common pieces. Thanks everyone, I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
What two or three you might be able to turn it into will never make up for what you have now. If you loose it I hope you don't regret it! We all have those we regret loosing and a rare one hurts the worst! ;) But this is all JMHO!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I shoot mine from time to time. I do not use it as a behind the seat truck gun, or put it in the rack on the Mule (lots of metal on Mules to bang up your guns.) If my memory serves me well, I think mine was about that price out the door in top condition (been shot-but no flaws.) Have the period 3X El Paso Weaver on mine that came off of my "Boss Rancher" friend's Octagon. I do not have anything except for a 10-22 that has not been shot. My intentions are to turn it into a bull barrel tricked out shooter if and when I get around to it. Enjoy. IMO you have the nicest of the 336s. Jack

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
daveinaz, welcome to MO!! Sounds to me as if you have a real problem on your hands, just kidding. I understand where you are coming from, all y9ou have to do is fifure out where to go with it. Marlins are ''Blue Collar'' guns, made to be used, not to be safe queens or wall hangers. Whatever you decide be comfortable with YOUR decision and don't worry about others. Take care and visit here often, John.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts