Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I found a 336 locally, 30-30, straight stock, brass looking trigger and saddle (?) ring. The wood is a little dull but looks OK. Has a williams peep site mounted on it too. He's asking $225. He didn't know the age or any other designation beyond 336.

It has a 20" barrel. I was wondering what sort of accuracy I could expect out of it. I reload and would like to use cast bullets. Does anyone have a pet load that works well in their 336?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello wet dog

at a gun show in Centralia Wa I found a 336 Marlin like yours with the straight stock and gold trigger and saddle ring. I found out it was manufactured in 1969. I had to pay $250.00. got it home and with a box of winchester power points and a box of silvertips we were off to the range. with open sights the power points grouped about two inches with a three shot group, as for the silvertips two were touching and the third was about one inch away. i went home and put a leupold 2x7and back to the range. it is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned. it has the micro groove rifling. dont know how it shoots cast bullets but should know in a few weeks as i have molds and sizers (.311) on the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello wet dog

at a gun show in Centralia Wa I found a 336 Marlin like yours with the straight stock and gold trigger and saddle ring. I found out it was manufactured in 1969. I had to pay $250.00. got it home and with a box of winchester power points and a box of silvertips we were off to the range. with open sights the power points grouped about two inches with a three shot group, as for the silvertips two were touching and the third was about one inch away. i went home and put a leupold 2x7and back to the range. it is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned. it has the micro groove rifling. dont know how it shoots cast bullets but should know in a few weeks as i have molds and sizers (.311) on the way.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Black River! That is the kind of news I was hoping for! What rings are you using with the Leupold? That is exactly the scope I was thinking I'd put on mine.

I'm getting more excited about it all the time. Handy size, classic looks and potential to be a real shooter!

Does your's have a white spacer (?) between the stock and the buttplate?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Wet Dog

seems like i always leave out some of the details. yes it has the white spacer. The winchester ammunition that i bought were both 170 grains and the targets were 100 yards. the rings are from weaver and the scope is the rifleman. the scope will stay on for awhile ,maybe the next 30 years or so :roll: but i am considering a smith enterpise ladder sight. i think this would be a fun gun to shoot at steel targets at the longer ranges

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Wet Dog

seems like i always leave out some of the details. yes it has the white spacer. The winchester ammunition that i bought were both 170 grains and the targets were 100 yards. the rings are from weaver and the scope is the rifleman. the scope will stay on for awhile ,maybe the next 30 years or so :roll: but i am considering a smith enterpise ladder sight. i think this would be a fun gun to shoot at steel targets at the longer ranges

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Wet Dog

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Wet dog

Did you find yourself a good 30-30?

I finally received the molds and sizer for the cast bullets. Here is what I found out: The molds I got were a Lee 150 grain, a Lee 170m grain and an RCBS 180 grian mold, all were gas check type. The Lee 150 grain weighed close to 160 grain, the Lee 170 grain weighed close to 180 grain and the RCBS weighed close to 190 grains.

The first powder I used was AA2015. At 100 yards the groups were about 4 - 6 inches. This was not good enough in the 30-30 but works very good in my 45-70 s. The next powder I tried was IMR 3031. The groups were from 2 to 5 inches with both the 160 grain and 180 grain Lee bullets. The 160 seemed to group better than the 180 s but it was still not good enough. I was expecting much better from the IMR 3031 because I have read so much about how good it works in the 30-30. The next powder was AA5744, just because I had some. I was well pleased with the results as I would consistently shoot 2 inch groups and usually they would shoot close to 1 1/4 or less. With the AA5744 the 180 grains would shoot better than the 160 s. It seems like most rifles shoot better with the IMR 3031 but mine prefers the AA5744. The AA5744 also works well with a 325 grain bullet in .45 colt that I carry when I am in the timber. I did not try the RCBS bullets that came from a 180 grain mold but weighed 190 grains. The reason being is that the gas check on the 190 grainers is below the neck of the brass cartidge and sticks down inside the powder chamber of the cartirdge. I have some H 335 and H 322 that I will try when time permits. Right now I am going to tweak the AA5744 to try to get !" or less. One draw back of the AA5744 is that it seems to run at higher pressures than some of the other ones.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far I'm still without a 30/30. I was close to a trade but we couldn't close the value gap enough to get me to part with my 1903 A3. I'm keeping my eye out though.

Thanks for posting the load info. It will give me a few options once I find one. 2" or less would please me out of a 30/30 carbine. Anything less would be a bonus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts