Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
I think leverguns has a write up on that conversion. If I remember right the gent that done the job did not remove the bbl just the bolt and hand reamed it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** Careful ! ***

---- If you're thinking about doing it , --- keep a close eye on the Pressures generated .

The problem with the conversion is generally , --- Pressure , --- i.e. , will the action take the pressure ?

Bolt thrust to the rear , when pressure is at it's peak , can create headspace problems , and generally overload the parts / bearing surfaces , that hold the cartridge in place ( against the rearward bolt-thrust ) . --- It can losten up your action , over time , to the danger level . --- Or , if severe , blow your action on the first round .

I'm fairly sure the reason M1895's and Win. 94's havn't chambered higher pressured cartridges is for this reason .

IMO , --- Better to buy , trade , or swap for a Savage 99 , or Browning BLR , Lever-Gun , that is PROOFED and designed for the magnificent .358 ( one of my all-time favorites ) .

Regards , ------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
482 Posts
Also if I recall that article there was a problem with OAL feeding through the 336 action. Seems that was a good thing as full pressure loads could be loaded too long, though that would not prevent single loading them. Seemed like a fairly easy conversion that in the end did not buy enough extra performance to mess with unless you were a serious tinkerer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I was once looking into this.

What I found was that the .358 won't work. most of the conversions I felt were reliable was for the .358's It's kissing cousin the .356 win. I think the 358 won't works as it is slightly longer and won't cycle through at least the Marlin.

I ultimately decided to stay with a stock 35 Rem. As I think buffalo bore makes a 220 grain "+p" ammo that comes close to matching the .356 win in performance if I really wanted it. Furthermore I could always decide to move up to the 444 Marlin for most the advantages of the .356 for short ranges.

Another option is to just buy a new Browning BLR. They currently manf. this in .358 and you can also use pointed bullets where as the Marlin or Winnie's you can't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts