Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 336 (made in 1981) in decent shape appearance wise and it shoots good. However, cartridges loaded into the magazine won't pop up into the chamber when the action is cycled. I have to single load them directly into the barrel. Not sure if a good cleaning is in order or if it is going to take a new spring or other part.

Any ideas? If a spring has gotten weak, what is the name of the part I am looking for?

Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I would start with a disassembly and clean the tube and all the internals, polish the follower, and the inside of the tube.

I use a bore brush to start with, then swab with Kroil, but most any penetrent will work, let is soak awhile clean like you would a rifle bore.

I then inspect and if I see any nasties I take a smaller bore brush say a .410 shotgun brush, cut a strip of Scotch Brite pad 1/2 inch wide and polish the area with it.

Your spring will fit into a 2 liter soda bottle if you want to soak it to clean it.

A section of PVC works well and you can soak the mag tube as well.

The spring being an issue I doubt it, unless someone cut it short.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swany,

I have no experience with disassembly. Is there a sticky somewhere on how to start?

Is this a good idea for a rookie or should I take it to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kentucky shooter said:
Swany,

I have no experience with disassembly. Is there a sticky somewhere on how to start?

Is this a good idea for a rookie or should I take it to a gunsmith?
Problem solved--- a good cleaning and breakfree CLP bath made it work smoothly again.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Glad you took the adventure, and things worked out for you.

Do visit our Reference Library for detailed disassembly instructions in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts