Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
336 mag plug screw?

Hi All,

I've been stuffing around with my Marlin 336 30/30 of late and I have ben having issues with the thing not grouping as I would like (stringing vertically - see previous thread).

Anyway I was playing around in the shed this morning and have backed off the barrel band screw 1/2 turn but also had a look at the magazine plug screw, I had to back this off 2 1/2 turns before I could even slip a piece of paper between the end of the screw and the barrel, I think I may have found my culprit?

What is the general consensus, should I get my dremmel out and see if I can take a bees dick off the end of the screw and maybe relieve a bit of pressure? Alternately I could just loctite the screw 2 1/2 to 3 turns out and see how it goes also?

Appreciate any advice from the tech minded.

Cheers,
Waldo

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would shoot it with the screw backed out first to see if you have gained anything before breaking out the Dremel. Of course, it isn't like you are going to make the accuracy worse by removing some material.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hi All,

also had a look at the magazine plug screw, I had to back this off 2 1/2 turns before I could even slip a piece of paper between the end of the screw and the barrel, I think I may have found my culprit?

What is the general consensus, should I get my dremmel out and see if I can take a bees dick off the end of the screw and maybe relieve a bit of pressure? Alternately I could just loctite the screw 2 1/2 to 3 turns out and see how it goes also?

Appreciate any advice from the tech minded.

Cheers,
Waldo
yeah, back it off but don't cut it. Cutting down that screw made absolutely no difference on my 336C or my 336M.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wasn't there a temp fix for a too tight mag cap screw posted here long ago by inserting a rubber "O" ring between the tube mag and the barrel to allow the tube to somewhat float under the barrel ? Don't know if it was really effective.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I've never heard about the o-ring on a Marlin but the o-ring trick is used on the Ruger #1 forearm screw to improve accuracy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Maybe a small washer under the mag cap screw head? I would not want it to touch the barrel, and would not want to lose it either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts