Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I need some information fast! There is a household auction nearby tomorrow that has a "Marlin 336 LTS 30/30" listed. I'm not familiar with this 336 model and I need to know everything I can before the sale. I don't know the serial number but there was a picture on the website for the auction. It looks to be in real good condition. How much should a person pay for this rifle and when were these made? Oh and what does "LTS" stand for? Thanks, Danny

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Is it a short barrel straight stock ? Barrel around 16 1/2 ". If so , only made for a couple of years, limited run of around 2500 or so
Sort of a " Texan Trapper "
BoB

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a nice rifle it is worth whatever you feel comfortable paying for it!!!!

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
BUY IT! that is a very good one, very hard to find, i would be all over it. trust me if you can get it for a good price BUY IT! they go for around 700.00 on gun sites in good condition.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Not sure as to how much it would bring, but that one looks to be a very good one. The last one I saw sold for close to 650.00. I'm not sure if it had the box or not. Best I can remember they we're made in the late 80's. If your in the market for a short barrel straight stocked 30-30, I say go for it ( within reason )
BoB

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
LTS=Little Texan Safety..plus pretty much most of what you have been told.There is one for sale here with a leupold scope.
That being said,I would pay $500 tops for one in excellent condition

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great help everyone!!!!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Howdy all, I need some information fast! There is a household auction nearby tomorrow that has a "Marlin 336 LTS 30/30" listed. I'm not familiar with this 336 model and I need to know everything I can before the sale. I don't know the serial number but there was a picture on the website for the auction. It looks to be in real good condition. How much should a person pay for this rifle and when were these made? Oh and what does "LTS" stand for? Thanks, Danny
Is it a JM or a REP or as some would say is it a real Marlin or a Remlin ?
If it's a JM Marlin it should be OK.
The latest runs of Remlins (made in the last year) seem to be OK.
If it's a Remlin that was made shortly after the Remington Acquisition I'd need to check it out hands-on from butt plate to muzzle crown before even thinking about buying it.
Contrary to rumour there were some good rifles made during the post takeover transition "junk years".
If you have the opportunity ask to check the gun over personally.
Nothing beats a hands-on inspection.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd be bidding on that if I was there! Nice looking rifle and very handy in the thick stuff!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Definitely would be bidding on that. Turbobug has one and it is a sweet little rifle, seeing his "enabled" me to get my custom.....hmmmm maybe turbobug is my marlinitis typhoid Mary! :flute:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep...I'll just try real hard to be the last person with my hand up at the auction. Lol. Of course as it turns out I'm on duty at the fire station today so my wife said she would go and try to get it bought for me. What a woman! Hopefully I'll have good news to share later on! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and kybob

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dan
Troy was correct. I bought one a couple of months ago for under 6 bills that came with a lyman peep.
Great shooting shorty.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Let us know if you get it! :top:

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
DSCF1243.jpg DSCF1244.jpg here is my glenfield texan, model 30 GT it is short and handy and easy to carry. i paid 450.00 it had a junk scope. i installed a usa made burris mini compact 4x i think you will love that carbine. mine is a joy to hunt with, i killed 2 deer with it last year.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
There's a video of one being fired by a blonde girl on Youtube.
Nice compact fast swinging rifle by the looks of it.

From the period of manufacture of this model it's obviously a JM which is also a plus.
Can't tell much about the scope of the gun you're considering from the photo.
A lot of newbie gun owners skimp on the component that is as important as the rifle and buy a crappy plastic $49.95 Barska, Tasco or Simmons and then dump a perfectly fine gun when they don't get the results at the range they were expecting.

Bought a 336W/30-30 a few years back from a guy at the range who was complaining "can't hit nothin with this POS, wanna buy it?".
He had a coupla boxes of 170 grain green box core-lokts on the bench which have given me respectable if not spectacular results in the past.
When I saw the plastic insult to optics that came in a bubble package that looked like it was mounted by a 6-year old with a popsicle stick on what appeared to be a really decent rifle it wasn't hard to figure what the problem was.

Yup, I think that rifle is worth every nickel of $400-$450 (if there are no surprises) even if there is a junk scope on it.

Hope you get it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts