Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

I have a JM 336 in 30-30, serial number dates it 1968. The gun has not been fired or cycled very much, as the internals look like they are great condition. I'm familiar with the failure of 2 round feeding and other types of jams, but this is different. If I load rounds into the magazine, they will feed just fine if I cycle them thru the rifle without firing it. And they cycle thru very smoothly.

But when I shoot the rifle with rounds in the magazine, a round will feed onto the carrier prematurely, and jam straight away before I move the lever. This results in not being able to open the lever at all. It jams shut with a live round sitting inside on top of the carrier, and the spent round still in the barrel.

Can anyone chime in on this and give some feedback on what to check? The carrier has no marks on it from the lever at all, like you might see on an older rifle of this age. I have verified that all of the screws are tight, and there are no burrs on any of the internal components. Locking bolt is burr free and clean. Also cleaned out the magazine tube carefully with a brush, and swabbed it out with patches. Thanks in advance for any good feedback. :beerglass:

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts