Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen on a post that a 35 Rem can be rechambered into a 356Win by Nonnemans(sp?),but a 35 Rem has a 16" twist rate and the reload datas I have seen use a 12" twist.........Is this gonna be a problem in stabilizing a faster load in 356 Win? Does it make more sense to take a 336 30-30 and have the bore redone completely with a faster twist(12") and deeper rifling...Is this possible and of so does anyone have any ideas on costs and locations of "reputable" places to have the work done....and if this is all too much then does anyone have any info on NONNEMANS!.Thanks up front!!!!!.........gary.......(I need a middle child to go between my 30-30 and my 450...preferrably a fast sister to her big brother 450 and kid brother 30-30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

G

·
conversion

Already did the conversion. Could barely exceed 35 rem. ballistics before the lever started to stick. Used a 30-30 and put a 35 rem. barrel on it and rechambered it with a 358 reamer. Lot of work for not a whole lot of reward. In the process of turning down a 35 cal Douglas barrel and going to fit it to a 444 action and use the 358 reamer to make a 356. Should be an easy conversion, except for the barrel work(I HATE threading Marlins!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thunder

thanks fer the reply.......does the 30-30 and 35rem use the same action??? If so I think I will wait to see if anyone from marlin or Win. has the foresite to see the potential of coming out with a lever 375 jdj..using the 444 action.....this caliber puts a smile on my face just thinking about it........I think Win. would do it before Marlin,they wouldn't want to alienate their 444 fan base.........oh well time will tell

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Churchillman: (Do you know Winston, by the way?)

Don't worry about the 1-16 twist. This rate stabilizes all bullets you will use in a .356, which is up to the 220 Speer. I know this from shooting this bullet from 1900-2200 fps through my .35 Remingtons. The .356 conversion won't be shooting any 250's unless you do some additional action modification to accomodate the longer overall cartridge length when handloaded.

The slower twist provides a benefit in that it makes the .35 caliber very cast bullet friendly, even with pistol length bullets. For whatever it's worth, other .35's that shoot bigger bullets than the .356 also have 1-16 twist rates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts