Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know much about this firearm but a guy selling it thinks it is pretty rare. I see in the Blue book of gun values their value isn't that much more than other 336's, but I may be missing something. Since the 44 mag in a rifle is now legal for hunting in Zone 3, lower half of Michigan, these are getting more attention. The asking price is $825, more than I want to pay but still peaks my interest. It is a 1964 336 JM, old scope with tip off hinged bases. What do you think??

44mag336.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
To rich for me.
I would pay $500 however.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
This model was only made for a few years during the 1960s. Reportedly some had trouble feeding pistol cartridges with the 336 action. Later the 44 Mag was offered in the shorter action Model 1894. This rifle is going for 600-800 bucks online in VG condition. I have never seen one locally--and prices vary for Marlins according to where you live. You would have to evaluate what your local prices are for used Marlins.

Reactions: BFPGW and Brocky

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have never owned one in the 336, that being said. The 336/1895 action was designed around and for a 2.5" COAL. I have tried every way I could think of to turn it into something else, no joy other than a single shot lever. The length positioned on the carrier and the entry angle into chamber is the difficult time, there is a period in the cycle that the round is floating. Try cycling any of them 90 degrees from vertical. The way it is with the 2.5" is magic, you get out of that window and it goes ugly fast. The 444's in this platform has a flipper on carrier to address entry. IMHO if you truly wish to shoot and hunt with a 44 in a lever go with the 1894, it was designed for it and it works great (provided you are using bullets/boolits IT likes) some tweaking may be required due to COAL( 285 gr.+, gummy tips, etc.). Unfortunately still up there in the >$500 club when you find one. Then you get into the early slow twist vs. later faster twist, do your homework on your bullet/speed wishes and needs and make educated money throw.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Show him five $100 bills and see what happens.

If he scoffs or acts offended, just tell him politely that you've done the research and his price is at the very top of the mark (or higher) than what a perfect condition gunwill bring and that only in certain parts of the country. As for the scope, looks like Weaver rings and bases so not much $ there. Can't tell what the scope is but typically most people put cheaper scopes on the old Marlins. Usually unless the scope is something like a Leupold it has about zero influence on the price.

Say "It's your gun and you can charge what you like but this is what I am comfortable paying." Also say you are willing to wait and your're sure you can get one for under 500 but are willing to pay that much for his rifle just to save the trouble of waiting and looking. You can always do the price dance and end up somewhere in the middle but I think you'd have the upper hand at that point. Sometimes sellers need a little bit of a wake-up check. I personally woudn't likely go over $600 but that's just me and I'm a po' boy. Bottom line is what are you willing to pay? In a state where hunting rifles are restricted and only certain ones can be used for deer, guns that qualify may in fact bring a higher price but in these days of internet and on line auctions there really is no reason to pay high local prices unless you want to.

Of course, all this is based on seeing the rifle and making sure it is in good usable conidition and has been properly cared for. If the gun in your pic is the one for sale, condition looks good to me but be sure to check the bore.

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Registered
43 Posts
The fact that something is rare does not mean it has inherently more value. When's the last time you got a $2 bill as part of your change at the grocery store? In terms of rarity, the $2 bill is surely the rarest of the U.S. paper currency in general circulation. And how much could you buy with it if you had one? ... Exactly $2 worth of goods, and not one cent more. Now, if you were a collector, and HAD to have one in mint condition to fill a spot in your collection, you would be willing to pay more than $2 for a 2-dollar bill. Likewise with the Marlin in 44 mag. If you have a special desire to have one in your collection, you might be willing to pay a bit more than most people would to get it. Otherwise, it's just another circulated 2-dollar bill...

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
There is a sticky on top the 336 forum thread called "Team 336-44mag" (something like that) and perhaps you can pick the member's brains in there... see what they have to say?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information and replies. I think he is trying to get more than top money for it as this is the first year of changes to our laws. Not worth it and I will let him set on it for a while. After Nov hunting season will see if he still has it. And yes, the scope is some off brand and the mounts aren't worth much either.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
FYI, I just did some quick snooping on gunbroker.

Searched "Marlin 44" and got about two pages of model 94's for sale but no 336's. Scanned down the list of prices and thought they were higher than I expected with many in the $600 to $700 range but then I looked closer... Out of 38 rifles with prices starting at $500 or higher, only ONE had a bid on it. ALL the others were "zero bids". Also, if the price was under $500 I think nearly all had at least one bid so that tells you something about the model 94, 44 mag prices. Question is, is the 336 worth more because they made less of them or worth less because they "supposedly" had feed issues. Personally, I don't think it should matter much at all. A Marlin 44 mag is a Marlin 44 mag regardless of it being a 94 or a 336. You're looking for a shooter/deer rifle, not a collectible. I'll have to stand by my earlier post estimate.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
High asking price... A discontinues model for a reason... Unless your looking at it for collection purposes, I personally would steer towards a Marlin 1894 (side eject square bolt). Currently, 1894 models in 44mag are readily available online, new and old. For less $$$ then what your looking at that 336 44 rifle.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
He dropped the price to $750

But there is an 1894 in .44 for $650

I'm assuming your talking about Michigan Gun Owners.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes swany that is where it is at. I thought it was a little different gun and caliber so I thought I would throw it up on here for all you experts. Plus it is 70 miles from me and too far to look unless he comes way down. BTW, I have a brother who lives by Stanton, not too far from you. Thanks for all your help on this forum.

Mark

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I also think the price is high. In that particular action, I would be concerned about how well it cycled a 44 mag. round. Others have had problems with this variation, so a concern is not unfounded. Did you ever consider why Marlin discontinued the .44 in a 336 and changed to a 94? Just food for thought!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm with you on Michigan's limited rifle zone. I took a chance with a New Marlin in 1894 in 44mag. I couldn't be more happier with the rifle! The rifle was only 625.00 new. The new ones have a Ballard rifleing and the Winchester 240gr JSP do very well. The rifle has been flawless no jambs and shoots where I look after sighting it in. I'm going today to look at scopes for it. I did give it a very critical look over before I bought it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks DAD, I am not going to jump on this as of yet. Have other guns that will do the job, just like the levers also.

Thanks

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Always wanted one of the 336s just to try to convert it to 445 Supermag.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Lots of 336/.44 mag owners say they are happy with them. The sad truth is that for the smallish number of them made, there are always some for sale. IIRC, there were about the same number of Octagons and Zippers made, and they rarely come up for sale. I have to wonder why 336/.44 seem to be everywhere. I do know that Marlin considered them prone to problems and brought back the 1894 from moth balls.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've owned a couple of the 336 .44 mags and didn't have a problem with them but have heard from other owners about the feeding issues. That being said, I am with the rest of the group and would pass - why take the chance when the 1894 "fixed" the problem. I think the 1894 is handier as well. I would agree that his price is definitely at the very top of the market - if not over. Unless you are collecting Marlins, I would stick with the proven performer in that caliber - just too many potentials for problems - not worth it to me.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
I have one in the rack just because it was inexpensive (a few years ago) and represents the effort and energy Marlin put into making what we wanted. (Like the cowboy rifles, guide guns, XLR series, 94 classics, all which were more popular) It feeds normal ammo fine, shoots as well as any 94, but doesn't get used for anything but measuring and reference. Swany.... 445 super mag... That's a fun thought. I'm a 444 lover for the reason some have bylined here, "Because we all need a lot less Govt in our lives" but shoot 45-70 more since my "go to" gun is a Cowboy cut down to 20" equipped with a Skinner Express and a GOOD recoil pad.

I'd be in the $500 range for this one also. BUT... He may be able to get $600 or more due to the respect folks have for the Pre-Rem Marlins.

Andy

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Lots of 336/.44 mag owners say they are happy with them. The sad truth is that for the smallish number of them made, there are always some for sale. IIRC, there were about the same number of Octagons and Zippers made, and they rarely come up for sale. I have to wonder why 336/.44 seem to be everywhere. I do know that Marlin considered them prone to problems and brought back the 1894 from moth balls.
There were significantly more 336's in .44 magnum produced than the other models you mentioned! and subsequently the reason you may see them more often for sale!? I have 4, and NEVER have had any feeding problem...

336 in .44 Mag (Production 1964-1968 ) = 16,650
336 in .219 Zipper (Production 1955 - 1961) = 2,774
336 Octagon in .30-30 Winchester (1972 - 1973) = 2,413

the asking price in the original posting does seem high, unless it is of collector quality, and including the original box ;)
shoot straight, gewehr

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rifles/147991-336-44-mag.html#post1819003

1 - 20 of 21 Posts