·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
Congrats on a very nice rifle!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like a good one.
Got to love those vintage see thru sights that were so popular back in the day.
REK

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Its been my experience that the mighty 35 hits very hard within reasonable distances. But sometimes ammo availability is a concern.

Good hunting to you!
TR

·
Registered
149 Posts
A GREAT deer, pig, black bear rifle. If you shoot something with it you will find that it kills harder than the ballistics say it should. Do you reload?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks fellas!

I was able to score two boxes of the Hornady LeveRevolution 200gr FTX from the shop I bought it from for $25/box. I do reload, and that will be my long term plan for ammo for it. The Hornady will provide some donor brass to get me started.

My intentions are for this to be my woods whitetail gun. Which it sounds like it does an amazing job as. I’m still not sure what I’m going to do with the scope? It’s a Charles Daly. Not the finest of optics. I’m debating between replacing it with a better optic or taking it off completely and installing an aperture type sight like a Skinner? Decisions, decisions! :unsure:

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
This is one taken by the Hornady LE's as have been others. Went down but the spine got hit on a high shoulder shot. 35's work if you do your part.

DEP

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well done Schmitty ! Ever Marlin lover needs a 35 remington. I have 2 currently and am building up a 3 rd for a friends retirement gift.
I feel comfortable taking shots out to 200 yds. I use factory Hornady 200 gr. L E ammo plus reload a factory equalivant . Its nice that the powder and bullet componets are available.
The best money I ever spent was on a Wild West trigger and ejector for one of my 35's. It really improved
My ability to make more accurate shots.
Keep us updated....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was intrigued by the Wild West parts. Was going to ask if they worked as advertised? And if they’re worth the money?

I’ve always been a lever gun fan. Something about the look and feel of something that has been around that long. Old world craftsmanship of metal and wood.

And I love medium to big bore cartridges. I also own a CZ 550 in 9.3X62mm Mauser. Big heavy bullets at moderate velocities.

Eventually I’d like to have a full Marlin collection. I like to think this is the spark to get it going.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Nice looking RC in a great caliber. You can refinish the stock and forearm on that rifle easily. Make a great winter project. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a trigger pull gauge, and my factory trigger on my Main Hunt rifle ( 35 rem )
Was measuring at 5 lbs. This is a older 1978 , pre-safety model like yours. After installing
The Wild West trigger I measured 2 lbs 14 ozs. And it is Crisp !

I think they are worth the money, especially IF its your Main-Go-to Rifle.

I also got the same WW trigger and ejector for a 336A in 30-30 win, that I'm fancying up for my open country Prairie Rifle. On this rifle, i got the exact same 2 lb 14 oz pull ?? You can See that post under the 336 tread

I have 5 other marlins, but can't afford WW triggers for all of them. I need to win the lotto......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts