Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on picking up a 336 in 30-30 shortly, but I can't be the only one that would also like one in .243? For those of us in Southern Ontario Canada we are restricted to less than a .275 for small game. I would love a 336 that I could use for small game. Yes I have a .270 already, and a .223 but for some reason I'd like a 336 that is versatile enough that I could use it for small game, deer, etc and still fall in our restrictions here.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
With a 243 you would have to probably just shoot cast bullets. All jacketed bullets in that caliber would be to long to cycle unless the action was lengthened. Now a 25 super or a 250-3000 savage has bullets in jacketed that would work. Any of these though would be sweet!

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The 25-35, the 25-36 Marlin and 219 Zipper were the "varminters" of yesteryear. They were fast for the period but still a long way from the 243 Winchester. You might could find an original Winchester or Marlin chambered for one or the other but they won't be cheap. Neither action could handle the pressure of the 243, not to mention the OAL or pointed bullet issues. I would suspect it would be cheaper to have a newer 336 or 94 Winnie rebarreled to one of the old calibers than to buy one originally chambered for them. The don't seem to be to terrible to reload for. Always wanted a Zipper or 25-35 myself.

Check out http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...rd-calibers/151362-25-36marlin-ll-do-job.html

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I have a 336 rebarreled to 307 winchester which has the same pressure rating as the 243 and 25 souper. It is also higher than the 250 savage. Pressure will not be your restriction. Bullet selection with overall length will be.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
How deep are your pockets? A 308 MX rebarreled to a 243 caliber, chamber reamer based on the 308 ME necked down to 243 and a custom set of dies to match, and you have a 243 MX. Have to back off the pressure a bit to keep the lever from sticking, but should get some nice velocity with it. DP

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
With the accuracy offered by the .243 a blr would be a better option.(don't shoot the messenger). Better still a bolt action. I started out many years ago with a blr .243 but now it's a sako bolt action. 250-300mt shots are not a problem,even for me.

·
Registered
17,066 Posts
If you Google 6mm/30-30 you'll see there's a standard and an Ackley Improved version. You'll have to file the bullet nose flat(for safety in the tube magazine) and weigh each one to insure consistency,but anything can be done with enough money. A reputable gunsmith can rebarrel your 336,but I'd still keep the pressure down to 30-30 level to be safe. That is under 40,00 CUP. After all,it is your face next to the rifle. Redding will surely have reloading dies,the only thing you need is to find a chambering reamer,and I'm sure there's one out there. You're not the first person to want a 6mm/30-30. If you're lucky,there should be no action changes to make the cartridges feed smoothly,especially if you choose the standard(non Ackley) version. There's a full page of pictures on the internet,and more info.
Best of luck on your upcoming wildcat project. You'll have three times the cost of a .30-30 336 by the time you're done with the rifle and reloading dies,but when has money stood in the way of firearm lust?

Rob

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
How deep are your pockets? A 308 MX rebarreled to a 243 caliber, chamber reamer based on the 308 ME necked down to 243 and a custom set of dies to match, and you have a 243 MX. Have to back off the pressure a bit to keep the lever from sticking, but should get some nice velocity with it. DP
Finding .243 gummi-tips might be a small problem.......good idea though...

·
Registered
849 Posts
how about something more traditional, like the 256 mannlicher? bertram makes the brass, or you can synthesize it using 303 brit or 30-40 krag brass, and it has a great track record on everything from dik-dik to elephant. works great on coyotes and blacktail deer; haven't tried it on muleys or whitetail. some hotshot back in the '30's took it upon himself to take all the major north american game with one and pulled it off, including the big bears. it's really a .264 bullet, so there are lots of choices--any roundnose would do--and the case is just a fraction longer than the 30/30. hornady has varmint loads for 'em, as does ken waters in his "pet loads" book.
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Need to ask the question of do you reload. To do any conversion of this order will require you to make your own ammo most likely. I still like the idea of 243, 250 savage, or 25 souper. I know without a shadow of a doubt the action will handle any of these since they are all at the same pressure of the 307 and 356 win which people do conversions of all the time. But you will need to reload flat nosed bullets in them. You could also go to a 25-35

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
A decent Savage 99E can be had for around $450, with an A, C, EG, or F fetching maybe a couple hundred more, can use standard pointed bullets at full power, by the time the 243 was introduced the action was drilled and tapped, decent to good triggers, generally are accurate for a hunting rifle, very classic in their own right. Winchester 88 about the same, trigger may not be as good, and probably in the 600 range. By the time you paid for the conversion and loading dies, you could probably have bought a nice example of one the rifles listed below and still have your 336. Below pics, levers avaialbe in 243, Browing BLR, Winchester 88, Savage 99C.

DBMs.jpg

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
graymustang,

$450 for a decent 99? I wish I could find'em for that around here. That'll only get you a clunker at best in my neck of the woods!

There was also a Ackley Improved version of the 25-35 that was pretty well thought of back in the day. It was deemed adequate for game up to deer size. It would make a really nice 94 or 336 project.

Dang! Now this thread has me wanting a 25-35!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
See the post war E model with beech stock sell of the internet sites for 450 often. The pre-war depression era E model (an EG walnut stock without checkering) is usually alot higher.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I found a 98% EG model last year in .300 Savage. Paid in the $650 range. That is some of the best money that I've ever spent. It shoots quite well....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts