Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a vintage 1964 Model 336RC in .35 Remington. I am gradually putting it in original condition by replacing everything that needs it. I've run into a problem as this rifle had no hammer extension for allowing the possible addition of a scope.

I ordered a "Universal" Hammer Extension (that's all they have) from Numrich and it won't fit the older model (Pre-1983) guns. All I've been able to find are the Uncle Mike's bar type extensions, which I don't like. I would perfer the original "blade" type extension if it's available. Does anyone know of a source for this item?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hey Hutch,

Here is what I have. I bought it from a gun show a few weeks back. The guy told me it would fit any Marlin, but it did not fit my new 336W. Marlin people told me it is from an older marlin model. I dont mind getting rid of it. See the picture.

Mad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think maybe we'd be good to swap. Mine looks like yours with the exception that the base on mine is solid across the bottom.

The measurements in the opening are what's important.

Mine is as follows:

Horizontal opening = .385
Vertical opening = .203

That's measured using a dial type caliper, so the measuurement could be just a .001 or so off.

The older hammers are narrower and have an offset ledge which allows the opening in yours to slide into. Yours look just like one on a relatives that will fit mine depending upon the measurements.

I just got mine from Numrich and it won't allow the hammer to cock on mine because of the solid bottom.

If your measurements are close, I'd be willing to buy it or perhaps a swap would be in order if they will fit the respective models.

If it works out we can arrange details my PM.....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hutch,

I sent you PM.

Mad

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Just so you know the hammer exstensions, new and old will not fit on some of the older 35's because of the hammer design. If scoping consider using a scout type mount with a longer eye relief scope so it does not cover the hammer. I have used both pistol scopes and shotgun scopes as well as actual scout scopes. Best of luck to both of you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still considering the scout scope option. I'm just undecided. If I can find a good quality sight that I can hit well with I'd just as soon not scope it. Then again I think of that buck in the shadows mixed with a doe or two and I'm wondering if my old eyes can see the "horns"?

That XS Scout mount along with Warne QD rings sure does look attractive. That seems to combine easily with a Williams aperature or even the more expensive XS aperture for back up. So many choices...... I just hope my 35 sight box doesn't become as crowded as my holster box! :D :D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hutch45 said:
I'm still considering the scout scope option. I'm just undecided. If I can find a good quality sight that I can hit well with I'd just as soon not scope it.
Hutch,

This is exactly the setup I am thinking about on my 1895. I already installed Williams FP336 (shoots awesome) and am thinking of either getting the XS scout mount or making one myself.

Mad

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking more of either the WGOS/5D or the XS. I have an FP rear on another rifle and yes, it is awesome, but it's too big for these little lever actions. I just don't want that elevation contraption hanging off the side of this little rifle. I also have a Williams Firesight set on another rifle and I don't really care for the front sight. It's just not refined enough for what I want. I think I like the looks of the XS front blade the best. It appears to be square on top and the white stripe should show up nicely.

In the meantime I have the "One Ragged Hole" aperture and am waiting on a fold down type base from Numrich. I'll try that for awhile and see how it works. Again, it may go into the "holster box".

I have until fall to make a final decision on just what I want on it. I'll have plenty of opportunity to check this one out and then decide on what I want to go within the next couple of months. I need to just walk in the woods and sight with it under a variety of conditions. I'll know for sure by late summer.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hutch,

You got PM

Mad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts