Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi this is my first post here. I got a 336 off my buddy awhile ago and i looked up the serial number and if i remember right it was made in 1977. Now when shooting i have to fire, pull the hammer back and shoot again to set off the round. i replaced the hammer spring with a wolf extra power spring and the problem persists. Also the primers appear to be backed out even with reloads. Does anyone here have any ideas? I cleaned the gun when i first got it, but i never took down the bolt, i am going to completely take down the bolt and clean it thoroughly when i am done posting, thats the first thing i am going to try. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it or how to fix it? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
First...welcome to the forum, If you still have it, reinstall the factory spring (it is most likely the Wolfe giving you problems). Next, take apart the bolt and besure it is clean and the fireing pin is'nt broken/gunked up. Also make sure to hold that lever in the closed position. Should work fine after those minor doings. You can still use the Wolfe spring, but you may have to add a #10 washer (or two) under the spring. let us know...

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Also the primers appear to be backed out even with reloads. Does anyone here have any ideas? Thank you.
I say you have a "head spacing" problem, take it to a qualified gunsmith for adjustment. And welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the site.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Take the bolt apart and clean it. Check to make sure the pin it not damage and it sticks through the bolt face. The pin should slide freely in the bolt. Some primer back out is ok but if it is too much you may have head space problems. Take your fired case and just size it enough so you can close the bolt this will remove the head space. If it still miss fires it it is a weak spring or a gummed up bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all of your replies, so far i have cleaned the bolt, inside the firing pin and channel were completely coated in old gummy grease and oil, havent got a chance to shoot it yet to see if that was the main cause, but now the firing pin slides freely. probably wont get a chance to shoot it till this weekend

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
if you are using reloads and still having issues, check to make sure the primers are set properly. if it fires consistently on the second trigger pull the primer may not be set deep enough (just under flush) initially. if so, first hammer stop sets the primer down, second hammer drop fires the round... happens on my hand loads occasionally, so I have switched to a hand priming tool...

just a thought.

and welcome to Marlin Owners!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! It sounds like it wa bunked up in old oil and grease, which trap grit and grime. It should be a really easy fix. And we're happy that you joined us!

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I just went through this. In my case the lever was not pushing the locking block up enough to line up the rear firing pin properly resulting in intermittent light strikes. As evidenced by peening on the leading edge of the rear firing pin. Make sure it's not loaded and pull the hammer back and use something to gently push the firing pin forward. If you feel resistance about half way in this May be your problem. In my case I removed the finger lever and SLIGHTLY bent it open to push the locking block up a bit more before engaging the safety button behind the trigger. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts