Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member here, been doing a lot of reading and learning. Such a wealth of knowledge here, thanks for such a great site.

My 14 year old Son has been wanting a Marlin 30-30 for about 3 years now. I really had no interest in buying a new Remington, so I have been looking for a used 336 in good condition. I found a lot of junk out there (rode hard and put away wet). I also found a lot of very overpriced stuff that really was not worth half of the asking price.

I finally found the perfect gun for my Son's birthday and wanted to know what you all thought. As they say good things come to those that wait. A friend inherited a 336, and he knew I was looking for one for my Son and offered to sell it to us.

It looks to be in near perfect condition, a couple of small scratches on the stock, zero pitting on the metal, the bluing is 100%. There are a few scratches around the front sight hood where it was taken on and off replacing the front sight. The sights have been replaced with a Williams receiver sight. The original sights were not included but my friend that sold it to me is looking for them.

Now here is the cool part. It came in the original box.

Here are a few pictures. My question for you guys is, should I return the sights to original, or keep the Williams sights? Thanks, and again great site.

IMG_20140317_091227 (800x596) (2).jpg IMG_20140317_091256 (800x595).jpg IMG_20140317_091348 (800x598).jpg IMG_20140317_091430 (800x599).jpg

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Congrats on that rifle! Looks great! I'd leave it as it is unless you want him to learn on the original buckhorns. I like the Williams, it's easy to use and comes on and off easily. I think it gives a lot more versatility, but as I said, you MAY want him to get used to the iron sights first. I'd say "win win" situation here!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yes sir you done real good. I remember my 30-30 my dad gave me on my birthday. Many years ago. But I remember being the happiest boy in town. We will need pictures of you giving him the best gift and present in the world. Oh yeah. You did good to wait and have a great looking rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on that rifle! Looks great! I'd leave it as it is unless you want him to learn on the original buckhorns. I like the Williams, it's easy to use and comes on and off easily. I think it gives a lot more versatility, but as I said, you MAY want him to get used to the iron sights first. I'd say "win win" situation here!
In the long run he will probably end up putting a scope on it for hunting. He does pretty good with open sights, so I guess it's a toss up. I just think it's in such good condition and with the original box, it would be a shame not to put it back in original condition. I have no problem customizing guns, but sometimes it just feels right to keep it original. Of course once my Son gets it, it will be up to him.

The S/N says its a 1979 gun. Oh I forgot to say in the OP. We got it for $300.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
bfayer, ya did very good, your son will have agrin from ear to ear, what a birthday present and a real JM Marlin. Welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Pictures of son and his birthday present will be noce and then get him on here as a member, make it a family affair. Take care, John.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, nice find! Looks great! Now see how she shoots!
I think that will have to wait till his birthday in a couple of months. I tore it down and did a full inspection and cleaning, it all looks brand new inside. Crown looks great and the bore and chamber look great too. I am willing to bet it doesn't have more then a hundred rounds through it, maybe less.

After hitting up every place in town I finally found a couple of boxes of 30-30 to give him with the rifle. It figures that the one time I am looking for 30-30 its all sold out :)

My last Marlin was a 45-70, but I sold that when I left Alaska.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Great find, if your son is anything like mine he's going to love that gun! Anthony was 14 when I bought him his first 30-30, it's a 336W. I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope on it and so far he's 3 for 3 killing deer with it! He dropped one Doe with it at 150 yards out of a ladder stand. He's 16 now and still loves it as much as the day he got it!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looks like a great find at a great price! I'd keep the peep sights on there myself, but i'm sure he'll love it no matter how you give it to him. Great gift and welcome to MO!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great find, if your son is anything like mine he's going to love that gun! Anthony was 14 when I bought him his first 30-30, it's a 336W. I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope on it and so far he's 3 for 3 killing deer with it! He dropped one Doe with it at 150 yards out of a ladder stand. He's 16 now and still loves it as much as the day he got it!
It's funny you mentioned the Nikon, that is the same scope my son has. Right now it is on his 10/22. Great Scope for the price. We have property up in Michigan and hope to get up there for deer season this year.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Great job by a great Dad! That's a sweet rifle at a sweet price! Welcome to the forum! John

·
Registered
233 Posts
What a sweet rifle! I'll echo some other comments about the peep sight. I LOVE peep sights. They're quicker to acquire the target, they offer a much larger sight picture, and will increase accuracy over buckhorn sights by about half. Your son is of an age where his eyes still focus quickly. Mine are on the cusp of not doing that anymore, so I may have to go to scopes in the near future.

Scopes are more accurate, but I wouldn't say to point of hitting or missing the vitals of a deer for an average shooter. Scopes are slower to acquire the target and can fog up/lose zero, etc.

Your son just might love the peep given the chance and seeing how much accuracy he's really not giving up within the killing range of that beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone.

Here is what I think I will do: Keep the Williams sights for now, and then either acquire the original sights (if they can be found), or find a set of correct sights to buy and keep, so my son can return it to original, if he chooses to in the future. I guess that is the best of both worlds.

Now I am regretting selling my 45-70. I guess I will have to start looking for good used 1895 :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice find. I would consider the Williams a plus and leave it on. If you get the factory rear sights, just store them in the box.
My Dad bought me my first deer rifle. A Winchester Model 94. Used, pre '64. The rear sight was gone and a Lyman tang sight installed. I was on target with no adjustments. I never did get a rear sight for it, there is a filler there.

·
Registered
933 Posts
you and your son did well.You ,seeing the look on his face -that will last forever in your heart and knowing you'll have a hunting partner for life. And he'll know his dad really cares by giving him the BEST lever action there is (Marlin). Let the good times roll and enjoy,it's a win-win. I know,because I did the same thing 25 yrs,ago!! IMO the peep is more accurate and faster.The winged XS makes a VG peep. Good luck and by safe.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts