Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
336 firing pins..."old style" and "newer style"..are they interchangeable?

Hey folks,

I new here because I am trying to get answers about my Marlin 336CS. I recently ordered several boxes of Hornday Leverevolution ammo in 30-30. I ordered this ammo because ofthe ballistics reports on it (very positive). All rounds misfired. I stopped after 5 rounds. It seems to have light primer strikes, however the rifle worked fine with Federal ammo a few weeks earlier. I examined the cases to compare the rounds. The primers in the Federal ammo protruded slightly from the casing (closer to the firing pin). The Hornady primers on the other hand were slightly recesssed inside the casing (further away from the firing pin).

Just to be safe I ordered a new hammer spring and tried to order a new firing pin (front and rear w/ spring). I found from the schematics on gunparts corporation's website that they made 2 different types of firing pins for this rifle. I had the "old type" which is out of stock. They also list a "new type" which looks very different. My question is are they interchangeable? Also does the "newer style" firing pin still use the same spring and rear firing pin components? The rifle is being handed down to my 14 year old son who will be hunting this year. Does anyone here know the answer about these different firing pins?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: 336 firing pins..."old style" and "newer style"..are they interchangeable?

They are interchangeable. Before you buy a new one have you cleaned the bolt well? By cleaning well I mean driving the front and rear pins out and removing all the pieces. a .17 or .22 cleaning rod down the firing pin hole to clean out grease and other debris, you can take this time to take 50% or more of the bend out of the flat spring and the lever will close a little easier (please check the safety feature for function, IE make sure the gun will not fire with the lever short of completely closed). Check the firing pin sections front/rear for burs and stone or sand smooth. make sure the tip of the firing pin is not chipped or broken(if so you need a new one). When you re-assemble use a light oil or if you live in a very cold climate a teflon dry lube. I don't think it is an ammo problem, but the primers not being seated below the case rim is typically a cause of miss fires because they are not full seated in the primer pocket.
james

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts

They swap just fine. But unless the original is broken I doubt thats the issue.
Like pickitpin said I'd break down the bolt & clean it well. You can also straighten the spring like he mentioned, might not be needed but it cant hurt & will lessen the friction needed to move the pin forward. It needs very little tension to do its job.
This link should help you break down the bolt if you'v never done it before. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,28449.0.html Just follow the instructions & clean the innards with a snug fitting bore brush. Should I think solve your problem. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts

Leverdude said:
Like pickitpin said I'd break down the bolt & clean it well. You can also straighten the spring like he mentioned, might not be needed but it cant hurt & will lessen the friction needed to move the pin forward. It needs very little tension to do its job.
This link should help you break down the bolt if you'v never done it before. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,28449.0.html Just follow the instructions & clean the innards with a snug fitting bore brush. Should I think solve your problem. ;)
I just recently did this procedure following Leverdudes guidance found at the posted thread. It was an easy procedure to follow and clearly laid out. In addition, I added a washer to the Hammer Master spring to increase the hammer strike strength per Swany's guidance in "gunsmithing" on this forum. The guidance from both these gents helped me eliminate my "misfire" problems.

Thanks to both! :)

CJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Leverdude said:
Thanks for the info. I did clean the bolt but I'll check it again. I'll try taking some of the tension out of the spring. I have another question about the "newer style" firing pin. Is this pin longer and therfore eliminates the "old style" rear firing pin? The "old style" was a 2 piece firing pin assembly. So the "newer style" is just one component? Is this correct?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts

They are the same length, the new style just uses a skeletonized version of the front & the rear pin section remains the same as originally designed. Not sure why they changed it but being lighter might lessen the chance of an accidental discharge if a gun were dropped on its muzzle & the fireing pin slammed forward from inertia. Theres nothing holding a Marlin fireing pin to the rear when the gun is in battery, yet another reason I dislike a one piece fireing pin.

·
Administrator
23,804 Posts

Just from looking at them the new ones are made that way to avoid a trip to the milling machine in making them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.