Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rifle feeds well enough if the lever is operated quickly but, when trying to ease a round in to the chamber it hangs up
The tip of the bullet strikes the rear of the barrel just below the chamber working the lever forward ans snapping it back quickly well make it chamber .
Upon close examination and comparing it to my 1895 it seems that the carrier is not lifting high enough to align the round with the chamber.
Has anyone run across this problem ? It's a new one on me other than one broken rear sight none of my Marlin have ever given me a minutes trouble.

Pat

·
Registered
846 Posts
It happens from time to time, what caliber, how old, hand load or factory? have Your ever taken the gun down all the way and cleaned it? there are a lot of things that can cause it so we need to narrow it down.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 1980 manufactured 336 30/30.
Type of ammo makes no difference, the factory stuff I tried is Federal Power Shok 170 gr, Remington Core Lokt 170 gr, PMC Starfire 150 gr.
My hand loads use a Lyman 170 gr hard cast bullet.
When I noticed the problem I completely disassembled the rifle and cleaned it.
I loaned this rifle to a friend when I got it back the loading gate was stuck inwards. I disassembled the gun then and there seemed to be nothing wrong other than it was quite dirty.
I first noticed this problem the other night we had a coyote in the yard so I slipped out with the rifle and tried to ease a round into the chamber but it hung up.
Normally I work the lever quite sharply so I don't know how long this problem has existed. I examined the rounds that did actually feed and the tips show deformation where they are catching the edge of the chamber opening and scratches along the case .

Pat

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
The actions on these rifles aren't meant to be sissy cycled....jack that action like you mean it man and you won't have that problem!! ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had several 336s and a 36 none of them had this problem.
My 1895 has the same action it feeds smoothly no matter how you work the action.
Also the carrier on the 1895 comes up even with the chamber the carrier on my 336 stops about a 1/4 inch below the chamber.
Is it possible that the carrier is bent? It does not appear to be worn and the lever looks to be in good shape.

Pat

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would suspect the dirty part, I would take it down all the way and I mean all the way! give it a thero cleaning. Unless the rifle is real worth it's probably just dirty. If you aren't comfortable taking the rifle down look in the gunsmithing section as there is good pic's and information there. Dennis

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called a buddy of mine who work in a machine shop he said to bring it by after work and we'd look at it.
Two sets of eyes are better than one we completely disassembled the rifle and dropped all the metal parts in the ultra sonic for little bit.
I don't think it was ever this clean. We looked it over under some good light and couldn't really see anything.
So we polished and deburred every single piece lightly oiled the parts and reassembled the rifle.
Wow this thing is smooth like my Krag smooth the carrier is coming all the way up and you can work the lever as slow as you want to it feeds perfectly.
We were both amazed we are going to his 336 and my 1895 tomorrow. ;D
I still can't pin point what caused the problem. Was it piece of dirt I missed was a burr on some part ? Who knows, It's back to acting like a Marlin again and that's good.

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts