Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum, and thanks in advance for any help. I recently acquired for my grandson, a Marlin 336 (30-30 pre cross bolt safety made in 1976 per SN#). Gun appears to have had little use, although I’ve just noticed that the half cock safety doesn’t seem to work correctly.

Whether placing the hammer in the half cock position from either direction (pulling hammer back – stopping immediately at ½ cock position, or after fully cocking and letting it back down to ½ cock position as I believe is what Marlin recommends), the hammer still releases if trigger is pulled from the ½ cock position.

Trigger pull in ½ cock position is somewhat heavier than from full cock position, but not by much, and it definitely appears to release the hammer with enough force that would fire a round. I was under the impression that the hammer should not release if trigger is inadvertently pulled from the ½ cock position. I found a few previous posts regarding this issue, and some photos, videos, suggestions, etc. about what might – may – could – possibly cause the condition, but did not find any specific advice on how to fix (or maybe I didn’t look in the right place?).

Any advice on how to correct is greatly appreciated, and I would certainly feel much better for grandsons’ sake (as well as anyone hunting alongside him) knowing that the ½ cock safety is doing its job. Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You should definitely not be able to pull the trigger and have the hammer fall from the half cock position. If you aren't in to trying to work on it yourself take it to a gunsmith and he should be able to fix it pronto for a minor fee. If you work on them yourself you could go two ways (maybe). If the half cock notch on the hammer is broken out you can refile it in or replace the hammer with a new one depending on the damage. If somebody tried a trigger job you may have to refile or replace the trigger sear. Just depends on what was done to it. None of the jobs are hard but it is important they are done right!

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
There are several you tubes and sites that have pictures and diagrams of the 336 tore down. I would tear down the gun completely if you can feel good about doing that. If not take it to a local gunsmith and have him take a look. You can buy a lot of replacement parts from brownells and a few other places on the internet.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Sounds like a busted half cock notch or the tip of the sear is broken off so it will not go into the notch. Dissamble and see what the problem is and replace the part.

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
Welcome From Alabama... Good AdvIce So Far. Tear It Down And Have A Look See At The Trigger Or Sear...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome. I had this same problem with my model 36. I disassembled it and reestablished the notch in the hammer with a small three sided file, works great now. Do it yourself
or have it done, not a big or expensive job.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I've found one that was burred up real bad that needed to be recut with a small file. Look in our Reference Library on how to disassemble and clean. I'm sure you can fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all for your quick and detailed replies. I'll check out the reference library, do a dis-assembly (hopefully sometime over the weekend) and report back on what I find. I wouldn't really have known what (or where) to look for without everyone's assistance. Many Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
You should definitely get that fixed in one of the suggestions mentioned above depending; either you or by a gunsmith. I might note that in my readings in the past, that it is possible on some rifles to duplicate/experience what you are seeing by having too much pressure still on the trigger when going into the half-cock position. Basically not allowing that safety feature to fully engage naturally. As I understand it, that is why Marlin added the cross-bolt safety as an additional method.
Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
When you get it torn down take a look at the trigger work thread in the gunsmithing section., probably a stickie, that shows before and after closeup photos of the sear and hammer notches. You can compare yours to normal and perfect versions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone. I finally got some time over the weekend and was able to disassemble the gun (which would not have been possible without your references to the various videos and photos, and what to suspect / look for). It seems that a previous owner may have taken a file to both notches on the hammer (obvious file marks / scratches visible at both notches) for whatever reason. The point on the half cock notch was nearly filed (or worn?) down to nothing - preventing it from holding the trigger in the notch.

Thanks to everyone's advice, I was able to use a small file, and a very thin cutting disc and dremel tool to re-establish a good fitting notch (the thin cutting disc & dremel actually worked quite well). It now holds solid & tight in the half cock safety position and is working as it should. While it was all apart, I gave everything else a good cleaning, and the gun is now ready to go. Again, many thanks to you all for your advice, and helping me to make sure the safety function is now working as intended. Best regards. Jim

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Score another for Marlin Owners, glad you were helped. Hope you stick around.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Marlin Owners Rule :tee:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts