Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I am hoping someone here can help me. My wonderful wife purchased a Marlin 30-30 for my 30th birthday about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago, I finally got the time to go shoot it. I was extremely disappointed. I've wanted a Cowboy Rifle my whole life. I love the look of the gun.

The problem with the rifle is that the casing will not eject from the chamber. My first shot, I fired the rifle and operated the lever and the shell did not pop out. I had to purchase a dowel and tap the shell out from the muzzle.

I hadn't cleaned the rifle at that point and being new to the rifle, I thought maybe I didn't close the lever hard enough when loading the first shell. The rifle was then cleaned. I loaded a round into the magazine (Hornaday LeveRevolution). I operated the lever and then back it out checking to see the round would come out. It did. I then closed the lever and fired. Again, the shell would not eject. Again, I had to pound the shell out from the muzzle with a dowel and hammer.

Any advice on solution would be greatly appreciated. Be specific as possible, again, this style of rifle is new to me.

:hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Pictures of the spent cases would be a big help... Welcome to MO web site...:tee:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like it's not extracting if you have to stick something down the barrel to "pound out the case". You keep saying eject but that happens after the case is extracted.

There's an extractor clipped over the bolt face. Is it there? Is it complete?

Since things worked with a fired case there could be a chamber issue for that fired cases. First make sure there's nothing like grease, oil or "something" hanging up the case in the chamber. If it's both clean and dry then I would be looking at ammo, case and chamber issues to see why it sticks in the chamber and will not allow a normally-working extractor to pull it out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
As CaptainMal said, if you can cycle the gun with unfired ammo and it works - loads the cartridge into the chamber, extracts the cartridge (pulls it out of the chamber to the rear) and ejects the cartridge (throws the cartridge out of the receiver at the end of the bolt travel) but the cartridge becomes stuck in the chamber when fired and the extractor (black spring on the side of the bolt) will not pull the cartridge out of the chamber then something is holding the cartridge in the chamber after the case expands upon firing. Check that the chamber is clean and smooth (no bumps or gouges on the walls of the chamber. A flashlight and a small piece of a mirror will make it a little easier to see. Take some photos, if you can. What is the model of the gun also.

Again, welcome to MO. All of us here will help you get your rifle working.

Oh, anything holding the case should show on the fired case (bump in the chamber or a gouge). The fired case should be smooth and uniform in appearance (except for color). That's why we would like to see some photos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks. I'll check the chamber, clean the rifle again, test fire a round or two, check the case and maybe try some different ammo if nothing on the case. I'll include photos if I can.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help lots!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Also watch the extractor when you slowly close and open the bolt, with a empty case in chamber. You will see the extractor ride up a little ramp and grab a small piece of case rim. If you have another marlin lever( everyone has more than one!) that extracts correctly , watch the way it extracts and figure out the difference .

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
FunLever, welcome to MO! Others have given very good advice on your problem. There could be crud or a gouge/rough spot in the chamber. If cleaning does not help ti may have to go back to Remington to be repaired. Good luck and just keep on keeping on, John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts