Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow collectors,

I have attached 4 pictures of the special presentation 336 Deluxe Texan presented to Marlin Firearms sharpshooter

Colonel Larson in 1962. This is a "V" serial number rifle and is a very impressive gun. Any questions, comments or suggestions will be welcomed as well as any information on Colonel Larson.

Good Shooting,

BMbluegill

Product Wood Air gun Gun accessory Trigger

Wood Trigger Musical instrument Air gun Metal
Brown Material property Wood Font Tints and shades
Brown Wood Textile Natural material Tints and shades

· Premium Member
544 Posts
That is an absolutely beautiful rifle! I really like the flame and marbling effect in the grain of the wood. Looks like both pieces of wood were taken from crotchwood - the part of a tree where a limb grows out from the main trunk. If that is the case, that must have been a massive tree. @BMbluegill8* were you trying to sell this rifle?

· Premium Member
513 Posts
Do a search on <Colonel Larson World Champion>, if you haven't done so . . . there's much interesting info on-line.
"The Marlin Man" ; Colonel was his actual first name. He had an interesting and amazing life. I met him when he came to our store where I was the sporting goods manager around 1967-8 . He was supposed to do a shooting demonstration in a hall way at the back of the store where our large department was located. Had it all set up for complete safety and at the last minute it was shutdown by the police or fire department (I can't remember which), Ended up just talking to all the customers and showing his shooting souvenirs.(Indian Chief outline on an aluminum plate was a big hit) We had some time to talk while setting up and waiting for the customers to show up and he told me about some of the shots he had done in his career. He talked like they were no big deal, but it was some amazing shooting.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is indeed walnut, this rifle the 336 RC Deluxe Texan was only made for two years 1962 and 1963. All of the rifles had the fancy walnut woodwork and the branded buttstock and were chambered in 30-30 or .35 Remington. Marlin chose this special rifle to present to Colonel Larson "The Marlin Man" who was touring the country putting on sharpshooting exhibitions and promoting Marlin firearms after setting six world records in 1960 using a 39A Mountie.

Good Shooting,
BMbluegill

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Our family went to a LGS and saw C. Larson shoot with his 39A. He gave my son one of the playing cards he cut in half from the edge. We have it around here somewhere. That was in the late 60's or very early 70's as our children were born in the mid 60's. Our car the was a '65 Impala SS 409. Should have kept that one.
Have a great day.
Jim

· Registered
844 Posts
Beautiful wood on that gun! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts