Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
336CB in 38-55win
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here just trying to learn as much as I can. On Saturday, I'm goin to look a Marlin 336 Cowboy chambered in 38-55 made in 1999. Assuming it is in about 90% condition, what is a fair price to expect to pay? Are there particular issues to look out for in that year/model?
Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
My experience has been that they are all over the place with the price. Lots of variables involved, ammo is not easy or inexpensive to find so relative demand waxes and wanes. They were not a largely produced model with that cartridge If you’re not a reloader make sure you are accessible to factory ammo and if you plan to reload make sure you have the components sooner than later. all of that stuff is going to go through the roof soon. Personally I would guesstimate a value on that rifle to be anywhere from 500 to 1100, which is a wide range but everything is so unpredictable right now.

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts
The last few 336CB in 38-55 I've seen sell have been from $1000.00 to $1500.00...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I would think that in nice 90%+ condition, that you would be doing well at $1K.

·
Registered
336CB in 38-55win
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you replies. They hep me a lot. Since the gun was manufactured in 1999 should it have a JM stamped barrel?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks for you replies. They hep me a lot. Since the gun was manufactured in 1999 should it have a JM stamped barrel?
Anything before 2009 and some of the 2009's, that was the transition year.

Reactions: Jack65K

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I bought mine 2005 last Fall like new with the box with some minor safe scars on the stock for 400.00 along with a 45lc CB 20" same condition with box for 700.00. I was on them like a chicken on a June bug. It was an FFL at the local gun club selling them. The gun club is full of hoyty toyty trap, skeet and fitsac elites and wasn't really aware of what he had. Fine with me.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
New guy here just trying to learn as much as I can. On Saturday, I'm goin to look a Marlin 336 Cowboy chambered in 38-55 made in 1999. Assuming it is in about 90% condition, what is a fair price to expect to pay? Are there particular issues to look out for in that year/model?
Thanks
Jack

I sold one within the last year on GB for $1,500 with lee shaver tang sight, front globe, and 2 bullet molds. Stock good condition rifles will fetch $1,000 + all day long. Very good rifles that were only made for a few years. Best of all, excellent shooters.

You will need to reload and shoot .380"-.381" cast bullets using Starline cases to get the most out of the rifle. The groove diameter runs .278"-.279 usually. Preloaded ammo is very high priced and usually has under sized bullets.

·
Registered
336CB in 38-55win
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sold one within the last year on GB for $1,500 with lee shaver tang sight, front globe, and 2 bullet molds. Stock good condition rifles will fetch $1,000 + all day long. Very good rifles that were only made for a few years. Best of all, excellent shooters.

You will need to reload and shoot .380"-.381" cast bullets using Starline cases to get the most out of the rifle. The groove diameter runs .278"-.279 usually. Preloaded ammo is very high priced and usually has under sized bullets.
Thanks for the info!
Jack

·
Registered
336CB in 38-55win
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here’s a little update, the gun is 95%, no visible wear or scratches in metal or wood. It is JM stamped barrel and is a model .336CB with octagon barrel in 38-55cal. Has factory sights and bore is shiny. Is it still 1,000 to 1,500 gun??

·
Registered
336CB in 38-55win
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This .336CB followed me home today! Can’t wait to shoot it! Near perfect wood and metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Mighty fine looking Marlin.

Reactions: Jack65K

·
Registered
336CB in 38-55win
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone suggested that it might be a fancy grade model. How could you determine if it is? Can I get anything from Marlin about it??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts