Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone besides me ,that has interest in this chambering in one of the new Cowboys ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,243 Posts
Do a search for member djh. He has converted a 336 to .32-40, by either having it bored out, or relined to the old caliber. He's got a nice set of Marlins that he converted to various old style configurations.
I'm sure not the guy to jump in here, as I prefer to find the original 1893's in that caliber.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
82 Posts
I have 336 that Norman Johnson rebarreld to 32-40 for me and it's a treasure. It's pistol grip, 26" original 93 taper, round, full magazine. With Marbles Peep. It's great shooter too. Using Mountain mold 170 gr Gas Check and Lyman 165. Can't quite chamber the RCBS 32-170 Gas Check which is for the 32 Win special. Installed Wild West Trigger. Slim forend similar to current 30-30 CB. I'm just an old cartridge nut and after giving up finding an original Marlin and selling a Win Oklahoma Diamond Jubilee in 32-40, I just had Mr. Johnson build me one. He does great work. The Winchester was gorgeous wood, just had feed problems and couldn't find the right load to get it to shoot. Next is 25-35 or maybe even 25-36 Marlin, both a great old round that will do what it was designed for everytime
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it bad for the 32-40 ,the 25-36 and the 7-30 Waters :D :D :D :!: So I know exactly what you mean 8) :!: Already talked with a gentleman in PA about relining 1895's to 40-65 and 38-56 :!: I hadn't even thought of those two until I read about a gentleman in MT who shot a rebarreled 1895 in 40-65 at the Quigley Shoot :) My downfall "READING" :!:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
82 Posts
I read the same Article, have been watching for an inexpensive 95 ever since. What a lever a 40-65 would be, I've checked, you are limited a little on how long bullet you can use to cycle through the action in a 1895., but should be nice. Is the 38-56 a shorter case, I know you can make from 45-70 but I'm not sure of the case length.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 38-56 to my knowledge is like the 40-65 in that all you have to do is neck the case down. I could be wrong ,but I believe that to be correct. As far as bullet selection goes RCBS makes a 260gr and a 300gr mold, Lyman makes a 240gr mold . All of these are flatnose bullets you can use in the magazine. I would be willing to bet there are others out there that I haven't seen yet :!: Also if you were considering using it at the "Quigley" there are quite a few easily obtainable molds for single shots you could use :D :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Yep the .38-56 is the same length as the .40-65 and .45-70. Just a necked downed 45-70. :D The case is available at www.buffaloarms.com

Speaking of the .32-40 I will be taking my Ballard in the caliber out on our shooting camping trip the following weekend. I will also take the 1892 in .32 Colt and the 1894 baby carbine in .25-20. Still deciding what else to take. Parley
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was my whole reason for the 40-65 , 38-56 and possibly 33WCF 8) You can buy 40-65 cases from Starline ,38-56 can be made from them or 45-70 and the same thing can be said for 33WCF. I like you have gotten into casting and these older cartridges fit that bill perfectly :D I wish I could afford to get these cartridges in old model 1895's but that is a little cost prohibitive :? I plan on eventually trying all of these provided my wife doesn't kill me first :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parley Baer said:
Yep the .38-56 is the same length as the .40-65 and .45-70. Just a necked downed 45-70. :D The case is available at www.buffaloarms.com

Speaking of the .32-40 I will be taking my Ballard in the caliber out on our shooting camping trip the following weekend. I will also take the 1892 in .32 Colt and the 1894 baby carbine in .25-20. Still deciding what else to take. Parley
You sound like me when I go to the range :D If I have any empty gun cases "I WILL" find somthing to fill them with :!:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parley , you know anywhere good to tell me to go hunting up around Redding in northern CA ? For Blacktails and bears ? Public land of course.Also is it a pain to get a hunting license and any gun permits for non residents ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
I live in Southern California. Redding is in Northern California and a long way from my stomping grounds. I wish I could help but I do not have a clue for that area. Parley
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
44 WCF said:
I read the same Article, have been watching for an inexpensive 95 ever since. What a lever a 40-65 would be, I've checked, you are limited a little on how long bullet you can use to cycle through the action in a 1895., but should be nice. Is the 38-56 a shorter case, I know you can make from 45-70 but I'm not sure of the case length.
44, was at my gunclub over the weekend and their are two guys there in the CBA, the guy that built the 40-65 had another article on building the gun back in 2000 and I was seeing if I could borrow it from one of them to read and copy :D I have been shooting with these guys for about two months now, all they ever see me bring is Marlin levers , so from seeing me and talking about this article ,I believe one or both of them are thinking the same way as you and I 8) I had a nice 1895 slip through my hands two years ago $250 .It was a little rough (someone got blood on part of the barrel) but would have been perfect for making a 40-65 or 38-56 :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
82 Posts
I'm leaving for New Mexico in the morning. (Utah). Last trip there was an older 95 45-70 with 24" barrel for $275 at pawn shop near the reservation. It caught my eye because of the long barrel, I didn't know they put a 24" tube on the 95 in 45-70.
I just may pick it up and have it rebarreled or relined whichever is cheapest. I fall asleep each night thinking about a lever in 40-65.
I'm wondering what weight bullet I can use.

I have a vintage 40-82 loading tool and mould, which I'm gonna guess is 260-180 grain bullet. Was my neighbor's for his 1886 Win in 40-82, his son now has the rifle but gave me the loading tools. That mould may just work for the 40-65 in a lever. Will have to cast a few and seat in 40-65 brass and check the length.
psNeighbor at one time make 40-82 brass from a standard case, which I would guess was 45-90.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
44 WCF said:
I'm leaving for New Mexico in the morning. (Utah). Last trip there was an older 95 45-70 with 24" barrel for $275 at pawn shop near the reservation. It caught my eye because of the long barrel, I didn't know they put a 24" tube on the 95 in 45-70.
I just may pick it up and have it rebarreled or relined whichever is cheapest. I fall asleep each night thinking about a lever in 40-65.
I'm wondering what weight bullet I can use.

I have a vintage 40-82 loading tool and mould, which I'm gonna guess is 260-180 grain bullet. Was my neighbor's for his 1886 Win in 40-82, his son now has the rifle but gave me the loading tools. That mould may just work for the 40-65 in a lever. Will have to cast a few and seat in 40-65 brass and check the length.
psNeighbor at one time make 40-82 brass from a standard case, which I would guess was 45-90.
Guy I spoke with in PA said he would reline and stand behind his work ,as long as you used cast or didn't hotrod it :!: Believe he told me $225 out the door :!:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
44WCF, if you should decide to do this ,the cheapest source for dies for the 40-65 or 38-56 is Lee. Don't know how you feel about there product ,but thought I would pass that along :D Also your best choice for brass is Starline they have corectly headstamped and shaped brass for this caliber and it only about $15 a 100 more then WIN 45-70 brass :D
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd still prefer Marlin to bring the 336 Cowboy out in 32-40 and the 1895 Cowboy out in 38-56 and 40-65 :!: Something about factory original that I like, but I realize MOST of the weird stuff I want will never be chambered in a factory gun again :?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top