Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 336 in 35 Rem about a decade ago in a trade. It had been put away wet and so the barrel and tube were rusty and pitted on the outside. It was a good trade. I always thought it would be a good gun to cut down and have be planning to do it.

So after reading some of the threads about Marauders and such I decieded to brave it and give it a whack or two or three.

First whack at is was the barrel. Cut the barrel with hack saw, true it up with a file, re crown it with the old brass bolt and lapping compound method.

The tube was cut from the receiver end and pushed back. Had to notch the barrel for the barrel band cross screw. Sorry no pics of that. My intent is to have a shorter straight stock brush gun but not a Marauder. I kind of like the modern sight in front of the barrel band and in tend to put a fiber optic front and rear peep on it.

I wasn't intending to write this up so not a lot photos to begin with. Some may find it interesting since I am not using any fancy gun smithing tools. Basically, a hacksaw, drill press, belt sander, table saw. Not much else.

So I cut it, squared it up with a file, crowned it and put it back together. I couldn't find the right tap for the front sight holes so I putting off doing that for awhile.

Started out the same length as my 375. Front sight painter's taped on.

Makes kind of a handy carbine. But I was thinking about a straight stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After taping, get out the wood saw and whack that nub off...

The palm swell on the pistol grip stock is petty big so it needs to be chopped down.

Computer running real slow, will add more later...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looking good sofar!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I like it it looks great!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Lookin Good! Nothing like a good shorty project to get the blood pumpin!

Please keep us in the loop during your work!

Thnx
Blood

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Continued....So after some belt sanding the next thing is to deal with the lower tang...

Mark it and whack it....

Some drilling, cutting and grinding ought to do the trick

Starting to get there...needs more thinning and grinding.

Comparing it to a lower tang off another rifle...

Next job? Whack a stock. I want to take an inch off the stock. Maybe replace it with a rubber recoil pad, haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Opps, forgot about the lever. Couple choices, bang out the curved one or replace it with straight one. In anticipation of this project I picked up a straight lever off of ebay a few years go (yeah, took me long enough huh?) so it will go on this one. I'm starting to dig the look of this.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice job so far. Keep us updated. Definately an 'Old School" conversion. I Like It! :congrats:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Off to a good start.Can't waint to see the finished pics.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looking great. On my to do list.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Looks like a fun project. Can't wait to see the end result. Thanks for the Pictures.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice project...can't wait to see her done and hear how she shoots!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Nice chop job, good work and please keep us in the loop. Take care, John.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good job! :congrats:

·
Registered
20,306 Posts
Lookin' good!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Stock is whacked...

Sanding and thinning the stock is next. Probably going to thin out the fore end as well. Not sure what finish it will have.

Then I have to go to work on the metal. Because of the pitting I will probably use some sort of baked on finish. I've actually used hi-temp ceramic engine paint to refinish several shotguns and pistol slides so that is a inexpensive alternative as well.

BTW, I showed it to a friend of mine and he wants to thread the barrel and put a flash hider on it to make it look cool. Uh....no thanks. Maybe my next beater project will be all tactical. LOL.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts