Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did the butt stock get changed on the 336SC to add the cap or button on the pistol grip part of the stock? 1956 no cap, 1957 cap was added? Is this correct? Just bought a 1957 336SC with no cap on the stock, Serial number P34##, early 1957. trying to find out if this is the original stock, it seems to fit very well to the gun.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The "Marlin Bible" says 57' was the first year for grip cap, pg. 257. Does not say what part of 57'.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
569 Posts
You should be able to take the butt stock off and see a matching serial number stamped on the wood where it connects to the receiver. Others could tell you more but I believe they were still doing that in '57, my '50 S.C. has it.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Easy enough to remove. Just remove the screw at the back of the tang and pull it off.

If yours had a grip cap there would be a screw hole in the stock.

Some came with em some not.

·
Registered
472 Posts
1957 was a transition year for that feature, you will find some '57 vintage Marlins with the grip cap and most without just as 1956 was a transition year for Micro Groove rifling; some of the early '56 models were produced with Ballard rifling, as opposed to the new Micro Groove rifling advertised in the 1956 Marlin catalog. Seems that with early Marlins at least, feature spill-over year to year is a common thing as stores of existing old parts on hand were used up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hoping this was a carry over from the previous year. I just bought this gun for $325 and was hoping it was correct for that year. A little blue thinning on the receiver, but overall a nice gun, came with a scope also. Thanks, I feel a little better now.

·
Premium Member
11,720 Posts
Sounds like a good deal either way. It also sounds like it most likely is original from what the ones who know have posted. Now we need pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts