Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a project I'm working on. I bought a 336 receiver on Gunbroker for $125, got a barrel, mag tube and forend for free. Still need a buttstock. Numrich has new ones for $90 but I'm trying to find a used one since I'll refinish it anyway.

I cut 2 1/2" from the barrel and 6" from the mag tube. I'm taking it to my machinist friend tomorrow to have the dovetails for the mag tube hanger and forend cap tenon cut. It will hold 4 rounds in the magazine. Then D&T holes for the front sight. The plan is to modify the barrel-band forend to use a cap. After machine work is done I'll get it blued or paint it with Duracoat. Then refinish the wood and put it back together. I'm trying to keep the cost around $300. A small scope or the XS sights will be last. It's supposed to look like the Grizzly Custom Guns version. It will have a pistol grip stock. More pics to follow. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Love to see project guns in progress. Keep us posted on the process and keep those pics a coming! ;D
Sounds like this is going to be a fast little brush gun! I take it that its' a 30-30?
I have a near new hard wood (birch) walnut-stained checkered butt stock and end cap forearm I wlill selll you ($50). If you are interested sent me a PM! ;)

CJ

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 30-30. Thanks for the offer on the stock, I'd like to stay with walnut. I have another 336 on the way from Gunbroker. The plan is to use the stocks off that one, then replace those with the Ramline synthetic, then clean that gun up a little and resell it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I like your idea of shortening the forearm as that feature will maintain the balance, appearance wise, with the now shortened barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
i agree with ratchethead. that is gonna be a sweet little project! were the guts in the reciever when you bought it or are you gonna have to get those?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The receiver needed a loading gate and the extractor, everything else was there. I have a friend that's a retired gunsmith and anytime I need something I call him first to see if he has it, he's got tons of old stuff. He had the barrel, mag tube and forend.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be a nice rifle.

While you're making the dovetail cut for the mag tube, you might want to consider cutting one in for a barrel mounted front sight instead of the D&T ramp style.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts