Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is the 3rd time I've tried to post this so I hope it goes through this time. :'( :-\ ??? :mad: I searched far and wide and I think I may have found the last known 336 BL for sale in the country. I found it in an outdoor store in Virginia. Very nice people, friendly, and helpful. I just wish i lived there so I could check out everything else they sell. I paid for it over the phone Tuesday and it arrived today (Thursday). After work I rushed down to my ffl and picked up my new toy. To bad I had to go home and put it in the safe so I could go help a friend move. So here I am its now 11:30 ready to do my review.I started writing this at 10:30 but for some reason the other 2 times I wrote it they did not post. Anyway I've looked her over and don't see anything wrong at all. The screwes aren't all buggered and don't look like my 2 year old put them in. The bluing looks really dark and even. The barrell is nice and straight and has no droop to it that I can see. The laminate stocks are really nice. They are not really light like some I've seen ( I call them blonde) and they're not that dark reddish color that I've also seen.They look kind of like a burnt grain finish with nice golden browns. I really like the look alot. The wood to metal finish is pretty tight. Its not perfect but I couldn't slide a piece of paper between them even if I lubed them up. The recoil pad is about 1/2 inch thick its not as big and soft as a limbsaver but not as thin and hard as the old plastic ones. The action is pretty smooth although it is alittle stiff. I think with a good cleaning and some range time it will slicken up nicely. It shoulders nicely and I think it will be the perfect whitetail gun for the northeast.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The longest shot I will probably take is about 100 yards so I don't think a scope will be needed but I am going to add an xs rail and sight combo like on the SBL so I have the option to add one if I want. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and will update everyone on how she shoots. I have pictures to post but it says the file is too bi so if someone can tell me what to do to remedy this I will post them as soon as I figure it out

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant to say the fiile is too big. sorry.

The stippling on the grip and forearm aren't as good as some of the nice older ones but I think they will be adequate. This rifle is a 91 series serial number and its on the side of the receiver which doesn't really matter to me but is a little different than what I'm used to seeing.It has the JM stamp and North Haven on the barrel. I haven't seen any complaints about these rifles so that is why I bought this one sight unseen. I am hoping that my 1895 SBL that I ordered comes in this nice but if not they will fix it and at least I'll still have this one to keep me company till it gets back. I don't forsee any problems shooting this one but we'll see tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Congrats on the rifle so far! Now we need pics and a range report!

The only scope I use on my levers in the Northeast is a Luepold. scout scope.....doubt I would get a shot past 50yds......I like peeps and ghost rings too, but at last light the scope comes is a necessity IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Wrong image link from photobucket..... copy and paste the bottom one that says IMG

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice. I have one as well and it is one of the better Marlins that came out of North Haven in the last couple of years.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Nice.......looks like a good fit up job from here.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far I'm real happy but I'll know for sure tomorrow. I figure I'm about due a good one after what happened with the 336 I got off guns america the other day. Sent it back to the guy earlier today and he sadi he'll refund me but I'm gonna have to eat the shipping and ffl fee. Although the ffl said if I buy 1 of the guns he has he'll give me $40 off so that was cool of him.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looks as if you have a Remington production rifle with a genuine Marlin barrel.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess you could say that since they did own them at the time it was made but it has the JM stamp and was made in North Haven by people who actually cared so it works for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bird Dog said:
Looks as if you have a Remington production rifle with a genuine Marlin barrel.
These 336BL rifles were made at the old plant not the Remington Factory.... Genuine Marlin in my books.
Mine has a 91... serial number also, had it in my hands before the factory move.

Brad

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
skmarsh77 said:
I did it I am the smartest man alive
After I finally posted my first picture on the internet years ago, I felt like I could have put a whoopin' on Ali and Frazier. I was trying to post a picture of my Marlin CBC and successfully posted a picture of my grandmother feeding me oatmeal when I was about two years old ::). That was several computers ago but I remember turning off the computer hoping that picture wouldn't be posted but of course it was. I was "not" the smartest man alive that day :).

Your 336BL is a fine looking rifle. I have never been a laminate type gun owner but that is one I wouldn't mind owning. I held one at a Cabela's and it felt great in the hands. Congratulations.

bjm

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I took it apart and gave her a nice good cleaning and put a few drops of oil where needed. Took my 17 year old stepson with me to the range. I let him shot my sig 556 for his first time ever(big sh$t eatinin grin the whole time). The first few rounds I shot inside on the 25 yard range just to make sure I was on paper. The first 5 were low and 4 of them were to the right and 1 flyer was low left so I bumped the sight up 1 notch. The next 3 were still low but grouped tighter and more in the middle so 1 more notch up.The next 5 were higher 4 were pretty tight and 1 was touching another with 1 flyer off to the right. Now I'm lookin good enough to go out side to the 50 yard range. At 25 yds I'm liking the grouping so far. These shots were taken from a standing position with no rest just off the shoulder so I feel the gun can shoot a lot better than I can.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next we headed outside and after I set my stepson up on the 556 I got to shooting the 336. Total today I shot 80 rounds.The first 40 of which were 170 grain remington core lokt. I found that at 50 yards she was firing pretty well. I actually lowered the sight 1 notch after the first few rounds and found she was firing pretty much at the same height as the bullseye but was about 3-4 inches to the right I didn't have anyway to adjust my left to right so I had to just keep aiming about 3-4 inches left of target. My last 4 I was really dialed in and nailed 1 of them dead center. I then switched to 150 grain winchester super x. They started to fly a little on the high side but that was to be expected with a little lighter bullet. By looking at the target you could almost draw a line straight through from left to right seperating the 150's from the 170's.When I switched to the super x 150's I did the same thing as with the 170's starting with the sights on bullseye and slowly worked my way left. again they were 3-4 inches right but they were also on average about 2-4 inches high.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All these shots at 50 yards were from a seated position, still off the shoulder but using the bench to rest my elbow on.I have to say that this rifle is very accurate and I found it to be grouping very well. I really just wanted to see how the rifle shot because I plan on switching the sights to the xs rail and sight combo but I must say the sights that come on the rifle seem to be pretty accurate. With a little adjustment of the rear sight I think she would be damn near dead on. The accuracy is great and I don't think that the 1 1/2 inch difference in barrel length from the standard 336 has affected the accuracy at all. As far as the action It loosened up very nicely. She is as smooth a silk now. It just goes to show that the fine people that worked at the North Haven plant knew what they were doing. I think it may take a long time for remington to even come close to producing guns like the ones that were coming out of connecticut. My hats off to the employess of the old North Haven plant. As far as the 336 BL goes if you can find one and you're thinking of buying it do it. You won't be sorry having a nice accurate, small riflle like this one in the collection.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts