Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a 76 model 336 in 30/30 wood and metal are in good condition it is however missing a few parts i have found all the parts (lever, lever screw, bolt, firing pin, ejector, and misc. screws) my question is will the bolt need to be fitted (for length or headspace) or is it a drop in

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Put a 30-30 unfired or new empty case in it (safety first) with some modeling clay on the back of the case say over the primer it will flatten out. This is the amount of headspace you have. Can't remember for sure but I think up to .008 is okay. The 30-30 headspaces on the rim so if it closes and is near that figure you should be good to go. Else you have to have a new bolt lockup fitted to headspace it. Good luck.

If you have an old set of feeler gages like the automotive type you can cut pieces off of start with .008 or .010 put them on the bolt or casehead (gun tilted upward on the bolt works best) keep reducing until it locks up, that will be your exact headspace for that case. Some rims are a little thicker than others thats why the figure is large to accomodate different manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You can use automotiver Plastigage from a parts store. These tiny plastic strings are used to check bearing clearance on crankshafts,etc. Cut a short piece, squeeze it in the action between shell and bolt, lay the mashed piece against the paper tube that the Plastigage comes in and it will be spread out to .004, .006, etc. beside the litmus-paper-like scale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts