Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mulling putting a 444 marlin barrel that was on a 444s on to a 336 receiver, but I am told that the regular 336 uses flat barrel threads and the 444s used V threads. I haven't seen the 444 barrel but is this difference in threads correct? I realize there would be other alterations needed on the 336 but if the threads are different then the idea is a non-starter.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
The threads are the same. The only differences are the ejection port, lifter & mag tube. A 30/30 lifter will probably work, you definately need a tube with a bulge though.
Heres one I built on a 336 action with many parts donated by the great folks right here. I won the action in our auction forum & it came with almost everything needed to build. Great bunch of guys here! ;)

In this pic you can see where my smith opened up the bottom of the ejection port. This action is from I think the late 80's, the older 336's were straight on top and only tapered on the bottom. Useing one of those I dont think any changes woulda been needed.

This ones from 1955 and you can see how the top of the port is straight.

This is a 51 at a better angle.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey, Leverdude...I'm the one doing the Swap Barrel 336 on the 444 thread. Found all the needed parts but your comment one the mag tube with the "bulge" in it went right over my bald head so fast it didn't even muss up the hair.

Can you tell me more...slowly. ;D ???

Ooooohhhh....I LIKE the carburized one...did you do that, have someone else do it or was it stock? That just gave me another idea. 8)

Thanks

LUCK

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
NFG said:
Hey, Leverdude...I'm the one doing the Swap Barrel 336 on the 444 thread. Found all the needed parts but your comment one the mag tube with the "bulge" in it went right over my bald head so fast it didn't even muss up the hair.

Can you tell me more...slowly. ;D ???

Ooooohhhh....I LIKE the carburized one...did you do that, have someone else do it or was it stock? That just gave me another idea. 8)

Thanks

LUCK
The 444 tubes have a bulge oposite the loading port like the 45/70's. It lets the fact case make the turn into the tube. A 30/30 tube is the right dia. but it lacks the bulge, I never tried one but figure if it would work then thats what Marlin woulda used.

The "carborized" one is a 1955 336 RC I had my smith sent out to get case colored. Its not something most of us can do, though it is a pretty simple process. It left the factory blued though.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
bteague said:
Leverdude ,Did you use the 30-30 bolt?
Not sure to be honest with you. I believe the bolt came with the bag of parts I got with the barrel & action. I assumed it was a 444 bolt but the rims are very close & I wouldn't be surprised if a 444 fit a 30/30 bolt. If the case head fits the bolt face its fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks again, Ken...that part is "hidden" from view when looking at a fully assembled 444. The 444 case fits nicely in the 3030 tube, but I haven't assembled it to check feeding. At least the tubes aren't all that expensive to buy.

Any other "kinks" you can think of doing this swap about?

bteague...the 444 case fits tight in the 3030 and might work but a 444 bolt has a small cutout on the bottom quadrant just like the 45-70 and 450. My 3030 bolt seems to work OK so far without the barrel and mag tube attached, it might also need the rim around the boltface opened up 0.010", the 356 rim measures 0.501" and the 444 measures 0.508" actual measurements, but I will buy 444 bolt just in case as I don't want to mess up the swap-in parts.

I keep having daymares about other caliber barrels using the 356/358 case...243, 260, 7mm-08 or 6mm-7mm Waters or maybe a 25 cal. This might end up like my SA Savage with a barrel for every caliber from 22 to 358. WAY too much time on my hands in winter. ??? ;D

There are pictures of a 450 bolt, 45-70 bolt and modified 3030 bolt on the 444 link now showing the differences. ALL the different bolts have different part numbers so there must be some kind of difference...Marlin uses the same part numbers for parts that are interchangeable for the different calibers and so does Gun Parts Corp.

I think by the time it's all said and done it will end up costing close to half what used 444's are going for right now. It's a fun project but for all intents and purposes it isn't all that utilitarian...it will take about an hour to swap things around and resight and HAVING another rifle to grab and go makes much more sense. But having the bragging rights to a "swap barrel" Marlin is something very few have. Anyone for a 17 or 22-243 Marlin, anyone?? Hahahahaha

I know...WHY ??? ??? ::) Hahahahahah(totally sick laugh)

LUCK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts