Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year did Marlin change the 336 from Ballard to micro groove?

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
I don't rightly know but they have went back to ballard. Pretty easy to check, just look at the bbl, it is stamped Microgroove.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
On Marlin's 336 top notch shooters such as the 336SS-LTD and their XLR's they chose Ballard.

I use the term "Marlin" loosely as I firmly believe they are dead as a rock and only a pretty memory. Its almost like buying
a Case knife made in china.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Marlin first used Micro Groove rifling for the Model 336 in 1955 with the model 336SC chambered in 219 Zipper. The switch to Micro Groove for all early model 336's took place during the 1956 production year; so you will find some 1956 models with the old style Ballard rifling. But like Swany said, all Micro Groove barrels are clearly stamped to indicate the presence of Micro Groove rifling; so if the barrel ain't marked, it has Ballard rifling.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rachethead, that's the information I was looking for. During the 1956 production year.
Terry

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Most of my Marlins are older, pre-micro groove era.
However, if you find a Microgroove gun at the right price, don't pass it by.
With Jacketed or cast bullets they're as accurate as the ballard rifled guns.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
O.K. let's get this thread up again.

I have a chance at a 1894 44 mag with either ballard or micro goove barrel. Which one would you buy and why?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Well, I'd buy the prettier one.

But really, I'm not sure it really matters. Both work well in the velocity ranges we're talking about.

If I reloaded a lot I'd go with ballard. Just to be more confident.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like the Microgrove Marlins they the real Marlin factory came up with it to save a few bucks but still make a good shooting rifle,I have found and this is my opinion, Micro barrels shoot better than the old Marlins with Normal rifling with a normal ie Sierra, Hornady Speer ext bullet,. Then the cast bullet guy's started to complain! But then what only 10% of shooters use cast bullets I use them and love to cast my own too and the Micro Grove works just as well. The only case I can see is with the ''older''real Marlins in .444 with that silly 1/38 twist it just does not like the slow moving easy on the shoulder cast loads with a 300+ bullet but push the same bullet at max vel it just might work.
Nothing wrong with Micro Grove in a 30/30 or 45/70 I find they shoot great or better, in my case than Ballard Rifling.
Now I just have to find a 35 Rem I can afford I think most are marlin rifling? that = Micro.
My 81 Marlin 30/30 can handle cast bullets as well as my 788 both can Drive tacks at a 100yrds and too be honest I was shocked my Marlin could shoot as small a group as my 788 Rem except when it gets hot then the group wanders but if you need more than three shots to kill a Deer you might as well take up another hobby!!!
Nothing against the normal rifling it has worked and worked well since the begening but dont't turn down or say anything bad about Micro grove barrels they will work fine even with cast bullets.
My ony complaint is the 1/38'' twist of the .444 had they made it a 1/24'' I bet nobody would complain.

·
Super Moderator
12,517 Posts
Marlin first used Micro Groove rifling for the Model 336 in 1955 with the model 336SC chambered in 219 Zipper. The switch to Micro Groove for all early model 336's took place during the 1956 production year; so you will find some 1956 models with the old style Ballard rifling. But like Swany said,all Micro Groove barrels are clearly stamped to indicate the presence of Micro Groove rifling; so if the barrel ain't marked, it has Ballard rifling.
I've owned three (3) 336SS models which have Micro Groove rifling and none are marked as such on the barrel. Granted this is a newer model but that statement is not entirely true.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Well I hope they shoot good in a 1894 44 mag, that is what I have bid on at Gunbroker.com. 44mag, 1989 build (SN starts with 11), Micro Groove, pistol grip, very good shape as far as I can tell by the pics.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the Microgrove Marlins they the real Marlin factory came up with it to save a few bucks but still make a good shooting rifle,I have found and this is my opinion, Micro barrels shoot better than the old Marlins with Normal rifling with a normal ie Sierra, Hornady Speer ext bullet,. Then the cast bullet guy's started to complain! But then what only 10% of shooters use cast bullets I use them and love to cast my own too and the Micro Grove works just as well. The only case I can see is with the ''older''real Marlins in .444 with that silly 1/38 twist it just does not like the slow moving easy on the shoulder cast loads with a 300+ bullet but push the same bullet at max vel it just might work.
Nothing wrong with Micro Grove in a 30/30 or 45/70 I find they shoot great or better, in my case than Ballard Rifling.
Now I just have to find a 35 Rem I can afford I think most are marlin rifling? that = Micro.
My 81 Marlin 30/30 can handle cast bullets as well as my 788 both can Drive tacks at a 100yrds and too be honest I was shocked my Marlin could shoot as small a group as my 788 Rem except when it gets hot then the group wanders but if you need more than three shots to kill a Deer you might as well take up another hobby!!!
Nothing against the normal rifling it has worked and worked well since the begening but dont't turn down or say anything bad about Micro grove barrels they will work fine even with cast bullets.
My ony complaint is the 1/38'' twist of the .444 had they made it a 1/24'' I bet nobody would complain.
Do all .444s have 1/48" twist rate? My TC Hawkin has 1/36" twist rate, and it's alot slower than the .444. That 1/48" just seems too slow to stabilize a bullet, of that size and speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts