Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had early 2000's 336AS, in 30-30 (checkered birch stock) in my hands, forestock was quite a bit darker than the "honey brown" butt stock.
Was confused by this.........then saw a picture later of another one that had the same, different color stock setup, darker in front, "normal" in back.
Was wondering, did these leave the factory that way or is it just a coincidence that somebody refinished them the same way?
thanks.

·
Administrator
28,320 Posts
Well, mine is an 1999 30AS so does it appear to look as dark as mine? The pic's are a tad deceiving as the butt stock is darker than the picture shows. It's just the lighting that day made it appear a tad lighter. Mine is factory stock finish.

Jack

DSC00086_E35%_2.jpg DSC00090_E35%_2.jpg DSC00087_E35%_2.jpg

Reactions: pzkpfw

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah, probably not that dark, but the forestock approaches that color, whereas the butt stock is light colored.
It was on two different rifles, miles apart.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Production weapons the parts are pulled from bins. American hardwood (read-cheap and easy Birch) the grain and sap is all over the place. The walnut on most is rarely close match in grain and structure. Unless you pay the money for custom one blank cutting you get what you pay for.

Reactions: pzkpfw
1 - 5 of 5 Posts