Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , new around here but some may know me off canadian gun nutz, im an aussie... not yet a marlin owner but things are about to change.

my question to the gurus is, what is the possibilitys of rebarrelling a 30-30 336, into a 356win, 358win ?

and also thoughts on rebarreling a 338ME into a 35me??

iv asked on many forums an havnt got the time to type out too much right now but i want somethin in a lever but not a normal boring cal if that makes sense!

looking forward to hearing replies on whats needed to rebarrel either rifles.

Cheers
WL

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners,

You can rebarrel a 336 to .356 winchester but not to .358 win.

There is no 35me to rebarrel to. Also, keep in mind that the 308 me and 338 me (maybe the 450 marlin too, not sure) use a different thread on the barrel than the other calibers (219 zipper, 30-30 win, 32-40 win, 32 special, 35 Rem, 356 win, 375 win, 444 Mar and 45-70 Gov).

Also, when you are thinking of rebarrelling, you need to pick a new caliber that has the same size rim as the original so that you won't have to get a new bolt fitted too. For example, if you get a 45-70 and rebarrel it to 356 win, the original bolt won't work because of the rim size.

Hope this helps but it probably raises more questions than it answers...

-Bob George

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
WhelenLad, Welcome to the forum! We have our share of Aussies here, some real characters they are, but we enjoy their charm and irreverence. Most seem to big-bore aficionados, must be something in the water.

I understand the desire to take something and make it better (or more personalized), but have you shot a 338ME? It's hardly a common caliber, and I think it's just enough different to turn some heads at the range. And one of our diehard hunting Moderators seems to think an awful lot of it. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im thinkin so many things with this project thsat i may just end up goin with the 338me..... an later down the track re barrel it with a 358 an neck up the ME so i can have my 35 fix aka the 35ME.

id like to do it with least expense with smiths an re barrelling etc, I already own a 375win but its a *dare i say it here??* winnie 94 :), and the marlin is so i can scope it, aswell as that i obviously have a 35whelen ruger which is my main go to.

as you say bruiser it creates more questions than answers but im slowly learning that all my Questions have the same outcome, i continue scratchuing my head..

a cheap 336 in 30-30 an i rekon i can rebarrel to 35rem for pretty *cheap* reasonable price...

originally i wanted a 444marlin, but the price of ammo is really high and until im home an weigh up weather reloading will bring prices down enough to be realistically useable for me.....

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Welcome to MO, WhelanLad. It looks like I have caught you at an opportune juncture in your firearms acquisition process to set you straight some.

WhelanLad said:
Yeah im thinkin so many things with this project thsat i may just end up goin with the 338me..... an later down the track re barrel it with a 358 an neck up the ME so i can have my 35 fix aka the 35ME.
If you do this, it would strictly be a wildcat caliber that you would have to develop. You might ask around in the general forum, some members have done wildcatting with Marlins, just not with the ME to my knowledge.

*dare i say it here??* winnie 94 :)
Hey, this is a no winnie zone, unless you're talking about Winnie the Pooh, which is okay:

Just kiddin ;D

a cheap 336 in 30-30 an i rekon i can rebarrel to 35rem for pretty *cheap* reasonable price...
Why would you want to do that? There are plentiful cheap 336s out there that are already chambered for .35 Rem from the factory. I almost bought one a couple weeks ago for $250 or so. Unless you get the .30-30 for free and really just hate the .30-30 chambering the costs are going to be prohibitive...even then I can't see it...30-30 is rimmed and .35 Rem is rimless, for starters. Sell the .30-30 and get a factory .35Rem.

originally i wanted a 444marlin, but the price of ammo is really high and until im home an weigh up weather reloading will bring prices down enough to be realistically useable for me.....
In my experience it always costs more in the long run to settle less than what you really want, usually a *LOT* more. You'll keep telling yourself that you don't want to get that 444 even though you really do, and your suppressed desire for the 444 will cause you to unexplainably purchase 4 or 5 other rifles that beat around the 444 bush but never fully satisfy you. Eventually after spending untold thousands of dollars you will realize that you should've just bought that 444 to start with. What's worse is that you're dealing with Marlins, here, and if you go down this road you are sure to contract a terminal case of Marlinitis. In my learned opinion, and judging from your last post, this process has already started for you with all this talk of various .35 chamberings, rebarreling, wildcatting, etc.; before you know it you'll be talking about .44 magnum, .45-70, and .450 Marlins. Do realize that the costs you are talking here are orders of magnitude more than the cost of a few boxes of 444 cartridges and a set of reloading dies and maybe a bullet casting setup and Ranchdog 444 mold to make shooting it affordable. Trust me, stop what you are doing, clear your calendar for the weekend, and go find a good 444 to buy right now, before you regret it! ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Boss... You may just be right..
35Cal is a nice cal an my whelen is my pride an joy :)
i have a bit interest in leverguns for a fairly young lad but thats jus addiction taking over an spreading from the love of hunting.

I will proberly end up with 444marlin, pack of factory or two, a set of dies, some big projjies an get stuck in to the sambar up close an personal..
Cheers mate

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Buy the .338 and have it bored to .358 at that point the reborer only has to open the neck of your chamber to make it a .358ME this for your other projects mentioned would be the easiest thing to do.

A .35 Rem can be rechambered to .358 but you have to rework some other parts to get it to work well.

Reboring a 30-30 to .356 is a better option and in the long run safer.

·
Registered
356 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts