Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just picked up a 336A. I think it may be a 336ADL though. From previous posts I have learned that the ADL's were not always marked so, some were marked with an "A". This rifle has an F prefix, has sling swivel studs, and checkered stock. The swivels that came with the sling are larger than normal, they won't fit in any of my other rifles. As far as condition goes it appears to be 98%++. The only significant blemish is on the receiver next to the JM marking that is on the barrel. The barrel markings are crisp and rough to a fingernail that is run across them so it appears that it possibly has not been refinished.

I intend to use it for NRA cowboy silhouette but first it is going to need a trigger job. It has about a 7lb. trigger pull. In fact the rifle is very stiff when working the action. I have also read about "trigger flop". It is quite evident in my 1895 cowboy but not in this rifle. Did the older 336's have a different trigger than the newer models?

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Gun barrel
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Gun Shotgun Air gun Trigger
Gun Shotgun Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Trigger flop is a standard on all 336's. If you wan to alleviate that, get a Wild West Happy Trigger. It's a drop in replacement for the original trigger. It will give you a nice clean break of about three pounds, without the flop.
Andrew

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Your rifle is old enough to have a one piece trigger, no flop. Very nice. Be extra careful on the trigger job, you'd probably never find another trigger.
Your absolutely correct. My early 1950's 336A has zero trigger flop. My later models have it.
Andrew

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
After the war, gun makers were trying to fill the demand. Some ADL guns were shipped with barrels marked A, and some A guns wer shipped with ADL barrels. No XX on the side of the tang. Someone could have upgraded the wood. The checkering, and the "large sling swivels" are what makes an ADL. If you do not want those swivels, PM me. I need a set and will pay nicely for them.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
After the war, gun makers were trying to fill the demand. Some ADL guns were shipped with barrels marked A, and some A guns wer shipped with ADL barrels. No XX on the side of the tang. Someone could have upgraded the wood. The checkering, and the "large sling swivels" are what makes an ADL. If you do not want those swivels, PM me. I need a set and will pay nicely for them.
Yep! What he said!

Reactions: tradarcher

·
Registered
472 Posts
With all due respect, your rifle is a 1949 model ADL; and the way you ID the gun is by checking its features, and not by the stamp on the barrel. The ADL's from this production era came standard with checkered stock and forearm, factory installed old style swivel studs, and a leather carry strap. They also featured slightly better wood and metal finishes. These extra features are not found on the standard 336A models from this period, and added $10 to the retail price of the gun, Yours is somewhat of an amazing find because seldom does one of these early ADL models survive with the original swivels and leather carry strap; and original sight hood. Overall this gun has survived in exceptional condition. The 336 ADL's from the 1958-1962 production period featured a Monte Carlo stock with raised cheek piece, but your gun is correct for the period.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yes it is a one piece trigger.That is a mighty fine ADL you got and you should be proud of it.If you take the butt stock off you will see that there are two cut outs for the hammer spring retainer to go into on the inside of the lower tang.Putting it in
the rear cut out will lower the trigger pull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the information. I have been looking for an 336A for quite some time. Last week I was at Cabela's and this was sitting in their used rack, the salesman said that he had just put the rifle out the day before. I have been saving for a new skeet gun for awhile now but I realized this was something special so it came home with me and the skeet gun will wait awhile longer. There are a number of lever action junkies at my club, I was lucky to find it first.

Thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I found the "X"

I was just looking at the location of the hammer spring to determine if I can lower the trigger pull poundage when I noticed something. I cleaned the gunk off of the tang and saw what looks like an X. What does an X signify? Does anyone have any suggestions on how the trigger pull could be lowered without permanently altering the rifle? Thank you in advance.

Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is a ton of trigger info in the gunsmithing forum here as well as elsewhere on the internet. The one and two piece triggers work the same, the difference is you can buy replacement parts for the two piece. Many will tell you to shorten, or replace the hammer spring with a lighter one, which will help but it also increases lock time (not what you want for Silhouette) and may make the rifle pickier about what primers you use. I have my one piece trigger set at 2 1/4 pounds with the stock hammer spring in the rear cut (as in your photo). It was a tedious, time consuming job to get it there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on the sweet find. Don’t ever part it out. It is very rare to find an all original like that with the swivels and the strap.

I don’t see any wear in the checkering or the blue. That gun sat in a safe or closet most of its life.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
856 Posts
Awesome. I have a 1950 336A in great shape as well. And please...NEVER be tempted to drill & tap that waffletop!

Reactions: tradarcher

·
Super Moderator
14,099 Posts
I have a 1958 and would never think of altering the trigger or anything else on it. I would find a well used one for $300. range and make it what I wanted with no fear of screwing up a rare rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ElkSlayer91 called it, the rifle must have spent most of its life in a closet or gun cabinet, note the wear on the toe of the buttplate. I will shoot this rifle, but it will not be subjected to any permanent changes. Although I prefer tang sights, I have a Williams receiver sight on the way. Here's a pic of the buttplate is this correct? I found a pic of an F prefix 32 ws and a '53 336 both with the same plates as mine on gunbroker.

Font Bumper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.