Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to all here I am new to this site and I just bought my first Marlin 336 on Gun Broker tonight.It is a older 336 A 30-30 and it has a 24" round barrel and a 2/3 third,s mag. It looks to be in very good condition with some nice wood and bluing is also good. I do have several other lever guns, I thought that I would try out a Marlin. I really like this site.seems to be alot of good info here.
Thanks for being here. Loren.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!! Congrats on the rifle!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
hey those are no good, the mag is short because the barrel is too long, no good at all, a risk to life and limb. better send it to me for safe disposal.

;o)

j/k those are sweet and I have always wanted one.

welcome!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A big welcome from Georgia! You snagged one fine rifle! :congrats:pictures will be expected when you get it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Congratulations on your 336-A find and purchase. The longer barreled 336-A is my favorite model, I can an least hold on to the barrel while standing with the butt on the ground.

Chocdog

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Welcome from the Allegheny Mountains of Centra PA!

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home, you're gonna like it here.

I have a 336a and yes, its a 24" barrel. By the way, hang onto that rifle. There are less of those than shorter variety 336 rifles.

The one I have was made in 1948 and is deadly accurate. I use it at the range for practice, along with my Winnie 94.

Pictures of your new rifle is REQUIRED! HA HA

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MO from Key Largo. You made a good decision on that Marlin 336, great gun, just about my favorite, and it is my favorite for hog hunting. The men and women here on MO are great people, again welcome aboard.

My 444 is faster then 911

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Congrats on a great rifle. John

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
You will like the long 24 inch barrel--that 336A model is super accurate. Welcome to MO!

DSCN0287.jpg

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If that is your first Marlin, you made one heck of a start.

Sad to say though, you are now likely ruined for life. Not only are the A's some really sweet rifles but the Marlins from that era are usually top notch in quality provided they were reasonably cared for. From now on, every lever you pick up will be compared to that "A" and sadly, many will come up lacking. Especially the brand new ones. You will soon be looking for another Marlin, probably in a different caliber "just because". It may start with looking for one in 35 Rem since THAT is about the most perfect deer, hog and black bear slaying gun ever made and every Marlin lover HAS to have at least one. Or, maybe it will be something in a pistol caliber that will start gnawing at the back of your mind. Of course there is also the "big bore" side of Marlins and the other "GOTTA HAVE" caliber is the 45-70. Talk about fun and versatile! With cast lead you can go from 145 grain "collar button" bullets on up to 500 + grain thumpers that can rock your world and will take about any critter in the world. After that you might discover the "cowboy" line with the cool octagon barrels in both short and long versions. Then there are stainless Marlins, commemoratives, laminated or walnut options. Ballard or micro groove rifling, "limited" guns (do yourself a favor and don't look those up for a while. Better to ease into marlinitus and test your marriage a little at a time). What else? The straight grip guns are called "Texans" and come in regular and saddle ring versions. Then there the elusive short Texans called marauders which are very difficult to find. The 39a's are the primo 22 lever guns and generally shoot really, really well. Oh yea, there's still the Davidsons special runs, the hyphenated calibers like 32-20, 38-55 etc, the"pre modern" guns from the late1800's early 1900's and of course, you gotta start buying all you can find made the year you were born. But hey, all it takes is money.... :)

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very nice snag, pix when you get it!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Welcome from the Blue Ridge! This is the best, friendliest, and most informative forum there is period. And yes, sad to say but you now have a terrible disease called "Marlinitis"....the symptoms usually start with just one purchase and the next thing you know, you start shaking when you walk by a Marlin at the LGS.....and yes, you will find yourself having visions of 1895G's with ported barrels and Skinner sights. The only treatment is daily visits to MO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I do have the lever disease and not just the Marlin disease in the last year I have bought 3 Rossi 92,s and I am already looking for a lever in 38-55 and 375 win. Also I have a Henry big boy in 45 colt. And to make matters worse I have 3 1885 high walls -45 colt- 38-55- and 405 win and 2 1874 Shilo sharps 45-70 and 45-90. As they say the man with most toy,s when he dies wins.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts