Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading that the 44 mag of the 336 wasn't very dependable. Iv'e had excellent luck with mine. I know I bought a model 94 in 44mag and could not get the shells in the magazine without a beefy shove with a piece of wood. I took it back. My 44mag 336 loads easy, feeds well and shoots great. Where did the story originate about the rifle? I'm sure someone started it that did have a problem. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The problem -- and it wasn't with all of them, but only with some -- was cartridge length. The 336 was designed for a longer cartridge. While it could be, and was, made to work with the shorter .44, everything in a particular rifle had to be "just right" for it to feed reliably. Eventually, Marlin gave up trying to make the 336/.44 100 per cent and went back to making the 1894, which was made for handgun-length cartridges from the get-go.

Still, if you find a good one, you've got a good one; if not -- oh, well...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
TOTALLY agree with mudpuppy; the naysayers don't have a clue ::) I own three, never had a problem with any of them, and they all have adjustment under the forearm if you ever need...
a Marlin 336 is, and always will be, an awesome weapon. :)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Well, Marlin decided it wasn't the best platform & I imagine they ought to know. I have one & it works as well as any other Marlin I have. But I cant say I preffer it to a 1894 in any way. For all intents & purposes the 1894 & 336 are the same action. The only real difference is bolt/lever throw, the 336/1893 was designed around a 30/30 length round, about 2.5", the 1894 was designed around the 44/40, about 1.5". Shouldn't be any surprise that the 1894 fits a 44 mag or 357 better.
The only difference between the regular 336 & the 336/44 is the lifter & a ball detent to try & help keep the lifter up until a 44 mag can reach the chamber. I cant see how that ball is adjustable, but I never tried. The lifter has a sheetmetal & spring cartridge leveler & cartridge stop on it that in my experience work reliably, but theyre needed because the platform just isn't suited for a short cartridge. Personally I see it like when Win chambered their 94 for short rounds, its a compromise that almost ammounts to an insult to the designers. If John Browning wanted the 1894 to feed 44/40's he'da make it do that, If John Marlin/LL Hepburn wanted the 1893/336 to shoot 44/40's they never woulda made the 1894.
So, while I think its an interesting gun & wont be selling mine, I dont think its better than a 94 for anything. Its heavier, has more bolt throw and depends on some rather fragile no longer available fixtures on its lifter.

If a person has a 44 that cant be loaded without a piece of lumber, what they have is far from an average example of a 1894.

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts