Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of these for my son, and want to modify the stock langth, however, I have been told that this gun is fairly rare. Does anyine have a stock I an purchase to cut down??

The gun is a 336-44 with a straight stock like my 45-70.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I dont think I would take the saw to that stock, the 336 in 44mag is a fairly rare bird indeed. I dont have any extra stocks, but you could call Marlin at 1-800-544-8892 and see what it would cost to have a stock sent out to you.

Here are a few other options:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/index.html

http://www.cabelas.com/information/Hunting--Optics/Wild-West-Guns-Synthetic-Marlin-Stocks.html

You might also try Wild West Guns directly, I believe they sell wood stocks that have replaced with the syn stocks.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I agree keep the original and cut down another. Any straight stock 336 butt stock should work. Might contact wild west or one of the places that restocks Marlins when they make them into takedowns as they should be fairly inexspensive to pick up one they have taken off.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
jrank 45-70 said:
I bought one of these for my son, and want to modify the stock langth, however, I have been told that this gun is fairly rare. Does anyine have a stock I an purchase to cut down??

jrank...

I have one of these rifles also and they are rare. You've got some good leads on stocks and it would be a great rifle to start a youngster into big bore hunting. This rifle was in production only 4 years during the mid 60's and I would bet that less than 15,000 were produced.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a 336T buttstock I'll sell reasonable if you'll e-mail me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
jrank 45-70 said:

jrank...

I have one of these rifles also and they are rare. You've got some good leads on stocks and it would be a great rifle to start a youngster into big bore hunting. This rifle was in production only 4 years during the mid 60's and I would bet that less than 15,000 were produced.
Just FYI, there were, according to my FFL, roughly 3000 ever made. It is much rarer than you think. I had two, hunted with one and eventually sold it and kept the one that is like new. (Yes, I still kick myself over that)

They are absolutely dead on, and with the right loads, you will achieve 2000 FPS, which makes this a 150 yard rifle for deer and blackie and anything in between. It is a much underrated cartridge when used in a rifle length barrel and the loads I use are actually under max.

If you are dead set on your son using this one, by all means, get yourself a used stock if all you are doing is cutting it for LOP. No need to spend the money on a new one.

Congratulations and good luck.

Ranger

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rifleranger.

Do you a load you reccomend. My son is using a load he pulled from the Hogden web site, but it is only rated at 1550fps. He has decided to use a 240gr solid point to assure penetration, but I would have prefered a 300gr for flight stability. It id after all his load though. WE also chose H-3227 since it was the slowest buring powder reccomended. Thought this would take advantage of the longer barrel.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am not at my shop right now where I keep my load info.
One of them is for the 180gr JHP and the other one is for the 240gr JSP.
The 240gr hovers around 1900 FPS give or take a few (around 1886), the 180gr actually slightly exceeds 2000 (around 2011).
I am not sure of the burn rates for the powders I have chosen, but there are pressure differences between powders as well, and I think that I may be taking advantage of that.
For blackie on down out to 150, either of these loads will penetrate and do the job, as always, if your son puts it where it belongs. If he is planning on anchoring his game with it, then solids would be the way to go.
As soon as I get the data, I will post it for you.
Ranger

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
j-rank 45-70. I have a 336 straight stock I picked up somewhere and never used. Send me an email will send it to you for cost of postage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts