Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just picked up a 1972 vintage 336-35 Rem from a friend that needed money. I haven't decided what to do with this gun as it isn't legal in Ohio for me to hunt deer and I don't travel very far or often to hunt.

I am curious as to what rechambers, rebore - rechambers or rebarrels folks on MO have done with their 35 Rem. I have access to a lathe and mill and much more importantly their owner expertise who has several decades of wildcat building experience.

thanks

BB

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You would be better served to sell your .35 and buy something that is area/region leagal for hunting. Example: A JES rebore of a .30 to .35 or .375 is reported to run about $250.00 plus shipping, about another $40.00. A barrel liner installed will run about $250.00 plus shipping. A rebarrel will run perhaps $200 plus the cost of the barrel. This does not include the cost of modifying the feed mechanism to accomodate a shorter, straight sided cartridge.

Your gun will bring an easy $375 to $425, perhaps more if you wait for the right buyer. For 500, you can buy a Rossi 92 in .357 or .44. You might even find a Marlin .44 for that money. Any overhaul of your Marlin .35 will leave you with a very spendy rifle that has little market value after you are done with it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the easiest and most popular such mod is to 358 or 356 Winchester. But doing so likely severely limits your resale value.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hi All,

I just picked up a 1972 vintage 336-35 Rem from a friend that needed money. I haven't decided what to do with this gun as it isn't legal in Ohio for me to hunt deer and I don't travel very far or often to hunt.

I am curious as to what rechambers, rebore - rechambers or rebarrels folks on MO have done with their 35 Rem. I have access to a lathe and mill and much more importantly their owner expertise who has several decades of wildcat building experience.

thanks

BB
I would swap it for a 30-30 and send it to Jes for a rebore to 375 Winchester which is I believe legal in Ohio_OB

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Pretty hard to do much with a .35 because of that little should it head spaces on.

.358 win is one that has been done with some success.

Bumping the .35 to an AI version would work but not much gain other than a positive should to head space on.

Relining it to 250-3000 would work but you would be limited to flat or round nosed bullets.

Best bet is leave it as it is and enjoy your .35

Still have a hard time with the states that don't allow rifles as long as you hunt from a tree stand. Shooting down always.

I know anyone that sees a big buck with rifle in hand while walking would then take the shot. Most however rarely get that, opting to get to the stand early and stay late.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BB, out of curiousity, what is the legal form of firearm in Ohio?

Ss
sidespin,

Ohio published a list of straightwall cartridges that are legal for deer. I don't remember all of them but the popular ones are 45-70, 444M, 375W, 45 colt, 44mag, 357mag. Ohio has a 7 day gun season and I have enough Ohio legal deer rifles to use a different caliber rifle each day of the season. I like to build wildcats and modify firearms so I am just curious what others have done with the 336-35R. I probably will not modify the rifle but if we have another winter like last year who knows what will happen when cabin fever sets in.:flute:

BB

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Check out threads of Flattops call Safari Grade 35.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts