Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while purusing one of my usual shops, I happened across a 336 in the used gun rack. I've been trying to decide between a 30-30, and a .35 Rem. for about a year now, and the rifle I was looking at was chambered for the latter. As I examined it, I noted the stock had some "Character" but it was still in good shape as was the bluing. It was an older rifle without the cross bolt safety, and the serial number dated it as a 1976 manufacture. Then I tried the trigger. This rifle had the best trigger break I've felt on a levergun. I would guess it's in the 3 pound range, or maybe just a hair lighter.
About this time, my lovely wife saw me inspecting the 336. She said "I've been trying to think of what to get you for father's day, do you want that?". (Did I mention she is a fabulous and intuitive lady?) Well, the short answer was "yes". A deal was struck, and the rifle left with us for $269. I thought that was a fair price. I'm especially happy to have the .35 Remington in the year of its centennial. The fact that it was manufactured during our country's bicentennial is an added bonus.
Now I need to hear from all you .35 rem. fans out there. I will be picking ups dies, and components soon (as well as a William's aperture sight). I need loads for everthing from plinking to ground hogs to deer and black bear.
Thanks,
HRF

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I think you will really like the 35 Rem. I shoot the Rem 200 gr RN with AA2015 powder and it is very accurate, lays deer out flat!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
with a three pound trigger I would bet it has been worked on or had a WWW Happy Trigger installed. Here's to intuitive, compatible, gifted-insightful wives!! :lol: :lol: congratulations on both accounts....good c hoices ya made!! 8)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome aboard and congratulations.

With the reloading dies and Williams sight it sounds like you are on the right track. The 35 Rem. really shines if you load for it.

Do a "Search for Author" on 35remington. His posts contain a wealth of info on the 35 Rem.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trigger may well have been worked on, but it's not a WWG Happy trigger. It's still the gold factory unit.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Good woman,, both are keepers.. :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
OPDRifleman said:
The trigger may well have been worked on, but it's not a WWG Happy trigger. It's still the gold factory unit.
I recently recieved my first 35 Rem Marlin and noticed that the trigger is pretty stiff. It could use a lighter touch. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
15 Posts
loads

I am currently working up loads for the 180 gr FP. IMR 3031 does not shoot well in my rifle with this bullet, but H335 does. 38 gr is around 2200 fps at 1 inch groups at 100 yds w/scope. 42 gr open up some, but still good at around 2 inches. No vel on the higher loading yet, but others say around 2400 fps. H335 had an impressive muzzle flash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi i'm new here my first post. fargus080 I just wanted to ask you if my 1969 336 .35 rem would shoot .357 & .38 special ? I have never heard that before.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
kycliff, he means the projectiles for .38 and .357, not the cartridges. You can load the .35 Remington, with, say, a 125 or 158 grain JHP and make a super explosive varmint gun out of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle. My 336 in.35 shoots well with my handloads. Hornady 200 grain RN, IMR 3031 34.5 grains. I just bought some of the new Hornady, Leverevolution ammo for this. 200 grain. Can't wait to try it!

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Welcome to the 35 Club! I have only had mine a few years but it's my favorite bottle-necked round shooter, by far. I use Lee dies, LOVE the Collet Dies, and my gun likes Rem's 200-Core-Lokt and the Speer 180 FP. Powders it favors are Varget, IMR-4895 and BL-C2. For a light load I use around 9 grains of Unique with the 158-grain pistol bullets, and it shoots amazing groups with NO recoil. I just turned down an offer to sell it last night, the guy was offering me $400.00 more than I paid, and I turned him down flat. The caliber is a favorite, and the gun is a keeper!

Papajohn

·
Registered
85 Posts
papajohn said:
Welcome to the 35 Club! I have only had mine a few years but it's my favorite bottle-necked round shooter, by far. I use Lee dies, LOVE the Collet Dies, and my gun likes Rem's 200-Core-Lokt and the Speer 180 FP. Powders it favors are Varget, IMR-4895 and BL-C2. For a light load I use around 9 grains of Unique with the 158-grain pistol bullets, and it shoots amazing groups with NO recoil. I just turned down an offer to sell it last night, the guy was offering me $400.00 more than I paid, and I turned him down flat. The caliber is a favorite, and the gun is a keeper!

Papajohn
Papajohn,

He offered you $400 OVER what you paid? Just curious, what model of .35 Rem you have that would command such an offer if you don't mind my asking. Is it an RC, SC or a 336A?

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
It's just a plain old 336C, the reason he wanted it so bad was because I had already done all the load development for it, and he'd seen the targets. Plus, I got it for a song, and it was practically unfired when I got it. He wanted an off-the-shlf tackdriver, and said that if I loaded the ammo for it, it was worth it to him. Some folks have more money than sense.

And it's still not for sale.........

PJ

·
Registered
85 Posts
papajohn said:
It's just a plain old 336C, the reason he wanted it so bad was because I had already done all the load development for it, and he'd seen the targets. Plus, I got it for a song, and it was practically unfired when I got it. He wanted an off-the-shlf tackdriver, and said that if I loaded the ammo for it, it was worth it to him. Some folks have more money than sense.

And it's still not for sale.........

PJ
T'aint nothing wrong with a 336C ... especially those of the tackdriving variety :wink:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts