Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all:
Ended up with another Marlin, today: 336C .30-30. As if I needed another Marlin, but some of you know about Marlinitis. Well, with this one I would like to do something different and try to develop a high velocity, longer range varmint load.

For bigger critters, I have what I need with the 336CS-.35Rem, 444 and 1895. With the .32-20, the best that I can achieve before extraction issues is approx. 1600fps. So, I though that it might be interesting to see what I could develop with with a light bullet and the case capacity of the .30-30. In a different website, a person mentioned getting 3,000 fps from a Hornady 100g SP (short jacket soft point #3005) bullet under 39.0g/A2015...said it is 3" high at 100 yds. and dead-on at 300 yds. I assume that this is a maximum load. My manuals do not have any information on a .30-30 100g bullet load.

Anyone have any experience that they would like to share with a light bullet, high velocity load in their .30-30?

Best to all,
Dan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dan,

Between here and leverguns.com the only advice I can give is to try the Remington 55gr Accelarators for the 30-30. I have the same ideas rolling over in my head but can't reload so the Remingtons are my only choice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

John

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There is the accuracy issue.

Is the 55gr a sabot? How accurate can a sabot be?

I have no experience with a sabot other than with muzzeloaders. Accuracy is a joke with sabots in my CVA.

SS

·
Registered
573 Posts
SS,

They are sabots, but I have neither the ammo or rifle yet. Just have the same idea as Dan but no place to reload so factory rounds are my only options. I got a coworker that shoots sabots and are accurate from his inline, though I cant recall the manufacture.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think Jim Taylor over on leverguns said the accelerators were about as accurate as any other factory load. That is if my memory serves.

I'm sure that the short jacket will get you much more velocity over your 32-20. Don't know how they would compare to the sabot's running a .55gr spire point. Also at one time someone was selling the sabot's for reloaders.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Everybody has to try things out, but I have found that a compromise worked best for me. Accuracy was terrible with the bullet you mention. (for me) Speer or Sierra also makes a small 100gr. bullet. The stiff twist on the 30-30 marlin does not make for a well rounded varmint gun (accuracy wise). I settled for 130gr. Speer bullet that is adequate for deer. With a max dose of hodgden Varget, it gives me 2500fps out of a 20 in. barrel. This is the most accurate bullet out of my gun, and does very well on coyotes and other mid-west varmints. I just saved my 22 Hornet, 223, and 22-250 for the longer range stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Just got your e-mail, Brad. My CB has a slower twist just like the XLR, and I did'nt try them. I started loading for the 30-30 only about 5 years ago, and went through trying out all the different possibilities. Gave up on some things, and this was one of them. If I can't achieve some semblance of "balance". I give it up. The balance I'm talking about is the bullet being made for that velocity. Its a shorter, blunt bullet that just does not have the configuration for that kind of speed. It isn't even all that explosive. The Speer load is well balanced. :p

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Dr. Dave,

What is the twist for the 336 30-30 as opposed to the XLR? And do you know what the twist ratio is in the old 336 A mods (50's ventage)?

SS

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Since time began 30-30's (and most 30 cal) have been 1 to 10. The twist in the XLR's and the CB are 1 to 12. Both are ballard rifled. More efficient for 30-30 bullets. No problems even with bigger cast bullets. Incidentally, cast bullets like slower twists. This is why I latched onto a older ballard rifled 32 win special with 1 to 16 twist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts